X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a large file from a Linux OS to a Windows OS

Hola

I'm trying to move a 9 GB .zip file. If I put it on a portable drive of any sort, whether its a regular hard drive or a USB drive, Windows can't see the file. As soon as I plug it back into Kubuntu, the file is there. I have a lot of skydrive space and I went to upload it there so that I could download it on my Windows machine but Skydrive has a 300 MB file size limit. Any suggestions that anyone might have would be most appreciated.

what is the file system on the drive/drives you are copying the file to ?
    if it is a FAT32 file system it can not take files over 4Gig in size .
    if the drives are NTFS then how did you make the .zip file (with what)

I have moved large files/folders to windows with a flash drive but it was not .zip'ed so IDK

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I made the zip file in kubuntu.

Comment

As Vinny asked above, is the drive formatted as NTFS?

I don't think Windows can 'see' files on a drive formatted as ext3 or 4.

Comment

I don't recall but it was formatted on a Windows machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazate View Post
            I don't recall but it was formatted on a Windows machine.
            you should check ,,,,,like I sead if it was formatted FAT32 it cant take a single file of more than 4Gig,,,,,,,it CAN have multiple files of over 4Gig of total size of all files ,,,but not a single file of that size.

VINNY
            Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 07, 2013, 03:40 PM.
            16GB RAM

Comment

The issue isn't the file size. I have a whole library of music on that hard drive that can only be seen on the Linux machine. If I added the files on the windows machine then I can see them on both machines. Files that were added on the Linux machine can only be seen on the Linux machine.

Comment

The issue isn't the file size. I have a whole library of music on that hard drive that can only be seen on the Linux machine. If I added the files on the windows machine then I can see them on both machines. Files that were added on the Linux machine can only be seen on the Linux machine.
                verry strange ,,,as I do this a lot to move files between my wife's win7 box and my kubuntu box ,,,,I can put music,e-book's,text files ,,,whatever on a fat32 formated USB stick and have never had this problem .

can you put the drive on your Kubuntu box and show the output of
                Code:
                sudo parted -l
                and
                Code:
                ls -la /path/to/the/drive
                VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Ok, here goes:

Code:
                  david-kublaptop@david-kublaptop-Satellite-L645D:~$ sudo parted -l
                  [sudo] password for david-kublaptop: 
                  Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54502 (scsi)
                  Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
                  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                  Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
                   1      1049kB  247GB  247GB   primary   ext4            boot
                   2      247GB   250GB  2946MB  extended
                   5      247GB   250GB  2946MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Model: WD 1600BEV External (scsi)
                  Disk /dev/sdb: 160GB
                  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                  Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
                   1      32.3kB  132GB  132GB  primary  ntfs
                   2      132GB   133GB  524MB  primary  ext4         boot
                  I have two partitions, one is a Fedora install and the other is just for keeping files, etc. As for the second thing you me to do, my command line capabilities are limited at best so I'm not entirely sure how to get the path to the hard drive in there... Sorry.

Comment

Type:
                    Code:
                    ls -la /dev/sdb
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Code:
                      david-kublaptop@david-kublaptop-Satellite-L645D:~$ ls -la /dev/sdb
                      brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Apr  7 22:45 /dev/sdb

Comment

well that may not work @snowhog if it is not mounted as /dev/sdb ,,,,,and we want to see /dev/sdb1 so,,,,

open the part of the drive you have the files in , in dolphin then press shift+F4 and a terminal will open their , then just do
                        Code:
                        ls -lah
                        VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Um, Snowhog, looking at the device node isn't going to do much

The external drive (/dev/sdb) has a 132 GB NTFS partition and a 524 MB ext4 partition. May we see the output of these two commands:
                          Code:
                          cat /etc/fstab

cat /proc/mounts
                          Also, in parsing this bit:
                          I have a whole library of music on that hard drive that can only be seen on the Linux machine. If I added the files on the windows machine then I can see them on both machines. Files that were added on the Linux machine can only be seen on the Linux machine.
                          I find myself wondering where the files are stored when written by the Linux machine. If the files are being written to the NTFS partition, I'm wondering if Linux has been set up correctly so that the files will be visible in Windows. I know that write support for NTFS in Linux can be hit or miss, and generally works better with ntfs-3g via a FUSE mount.

Comment

Code:
                            david-kublaptop@david-kublaptop-Satellite-L645D:/media/My Passport$ ls -lah
                            total 3.3G
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop  28K Apr  6 02:46 .
                            drwxr-xr-x 3 root            root            4.0K Apr  7 22:58 ..
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Sep 26  2011 David Backup
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop    0 Aug  7  2008 I-Tunes Backup
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Jan  3  2012 iTunes Media
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop    0 Jul 25  2011 Kristi's Backup
                            -rw------- 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 2.5M Jun 28  2011 paf.paf
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Jun 29  2011 Program Files
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Apr  6 02:37 $RECYCLE.BIN
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Jan  3  2012 System Volume Information
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Sep 24  2011 .Trash-500
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop    0 Sep  1  2012 Ubuntu One Backup
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Oct  7  2012 Ubuntu One Perm
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop    0 Jul 24  2009 Users2
                            drwx------ 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 4.0K Sep 10  2012 Vista Comp
                            -rw------- 1 david-kublaptop david-kublaptop 3.3G Sep  1  2012 Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English.iso

Comment

Working...
                            X