This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and the Nexus 7 Ubuntu stuff

Is anybody planning on messing with this from a serious Kubuntu angle? Or are we all waiting for Saigo to actually get us the tablet he promised so long ago?

I installed the Ubuntu build on my Nexus 7 the other day. It isn't too useful in its current state. The buttons are way too small, and there's no ability to right-click. Two-finger scrolling does not work in many applications.

A larger observation is that Unity misses the mark of being a tablet user interface. It's another bit of evidence to show that a single UI paradigm for both tablets and desktops is possibly not a good idea.

Regarding Plasma Active, I know that a few folks in KDE land are working with Kubuntu developers to get all the bits ported. Once that's done, I'm sure we'll have something useful to test. At the moment, there are problems with the armhf build of KWin -- finger taps aren't registered at all.

Comment

Have you seen this article by Swapnil Bhartiya, My Thoughts On Running Ubuntu And Kubuntu On Google Nexus 7 ? Turns out KDE Desktop is easier to configure and use on the Nexus 7 than Unity is. My guess is that it takes advantage of the quad-core better than Unity can. It's worth looking into further.

Comment

I tried Plasma Active and experienced the same problem Alex showed on my KDE TeaTime interview. I may try again, this time with regular Plasma in netbook mode.

Comment

Working...
        X