This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML & PHP Editors

Okay, this is an old topic, but one not addressed recently and I'm getting a little desperate to find something that works for me. I need a usable HTML editor, and Bluefish has acquired so many quirks (on KDE) that it's becoming unusable, for me. I write web site content. It's what I do for a living. I've done it long enough that I'm really only comfortable writing code. I have never liked WYSIWYG HTML editors. Now, all of my web sites use PHP, but what I'm writing most days is just plain HTML, and that's what I'm looking for in an editor. If I just wanted to edit code, I'd use Kate, which does the job quite well. But, I want to be able to insert complete image tags, with the proper width and height defined, and links to other pages in the site. Why is this so much to ask?

I've probably installed and tried a dozen alternatives, and none of them can do the job. Either they don't really have any HTML support at all, or in some cases the have good HTML features but won't open PHP files. That's when they work at all. I've had a few that just crashed. I've tried many recommended programs, such as Komodo and UXE, but just can't seem to find anything that compares to the old Quanta Plus application. Any new suggestions?

I know kdevelop recently got php support, but I cannot say if it has html support or not nor can I say how good its support is but for the other languages I use it with it has excellent support. It is at least worth trying it out.

Comment

Thanks, I did try it out. If I were developing solely in PHP, Kdevelop would be a very good choice, but it doesn't have any HTML support (except highlighting).

Comment

Kate does have xml tag insertion and validation,
        Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	640148

it wasn't activated be default for me (but was in the plugins part of kates settings) and might be in a separate package. But once activated you can hit ctrl+enter to get that popup. I doesn't auto add the tags unfortunately, however for frequently used ones you could write a kate script to do it.

Afraid I don't know of a better solution. But I don't really do html development so haven't looked into it in any detail.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          Kate does have xml tag insertion and validation,
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3797[/ATTACH]

it wasn't activated be default for me (but was in the plugins part of kates settings) and might be in a separate package. But once activated you can hit ctrl+enter to get that popup. I doesn't auto add the tags unfortunately, however for frequently used ones you could write a kate script to do it.

Afraid I don't know of a better solution. But I don't really do html development so haven't looked into it in any detail.
          Thanks, but that's not really any kind of solution at all, although I do use Kate quite a bit when I just have to edit a little code. It's not inserting tags that is a challenge, it's the parameters, like paths to files and image sizes, that an editor needs to be able to do, and Kate doesn't even come close. It's kind of weird that even sophisticated IDEs designed for developing web apps don't support basic HTML coding.

Comment

I use Komodo and am quite happy with it. Today I accidentally saw a topic on Komodo's forum. There seems to be a way to insert an imagetag with height and width etc, a complete path to a file, etc. I didn't try it out, but this may be what you're looking for in Komodo. Here's the thread on the forum: http://community.activestate.com/node/9252
            In that thread you'll find links to the things to do.

Comment

Geany? I think it really depends on what level you are working at. At any level Geany is a useful tool set. Much lower learning curve then some of the other IDE's out there.

Comment

Working...
              X