This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba crashes on system start

I have a desktop system set up with Kubuntu 12.04 using wired LAN. I am using this primarily as a file server.

When the system starts up, smbd crashes right away. However, nmbd starts fine. If I log in and "sudo service smbd start" it starts right up no problem. Based on the contents of the smbd log and some google-fu, I have determined the cause to be that smbd is starting before the network interface is fully initialized. Here is a small portion of the log that helped lead me to this conclusion:

[2012/10/10 21:14:32.286793,  0] smbd/server.c:762(open_sockets_smbd)
    open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.
    [2012/10/10 21:14:32.286925, 0] smbd/server_exit.c:169(exit_server_common)
    ================================================== =============
    [2012/10/10 21:14:32.286947, 0] smbd/server_exit.c:171(exit_server_common)
    Abnormal server exit: open_sockets_smbd() failed

What I have not been able to determine is how to change this behavior. Version 12.04 is using upstart, and there is a lot of info out there that is pre-upstart. I don't want to hose my configs by applying outdated changes, so I am here asking for help.

If I look in /etc/init/smbd.conf, I see this:

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up)
    stop on runlevel [!2345]

I may not be a sysadmin, but that is telling me it starts up after the filesystem drivers are loaded and whatever network driver I'm using is working. The network is a wired system connection, and I can ping the box before logging in so I don't think the network is the issue here, just that Samba needs to hold off for a little bit before starting.

Is there something I can add to the "start on" or could I adjust the runlevels, maybe remove runlevel 2 since that means the network isn't initialized? But that's the "stop on" not "start on". Google hasn't been helpful, so I'm not sure what to do without breaking anything.

Any ideas?
Working...
X