X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ubuntu with KDE desktop

Hi,
    1st of all.lemme tell that i love kubuntu.. for its graphics.
    but i am getting annoyed by the wait time after selecting kubuntu from grub till the log in screen.
    i heard from several forum posts that ubuntu works faster.

my question is.. if i install ubuntu with kde desktop then.. will all the default programs will be of kde or of gnome..
    as in.. say photo editing software.. f-spot is default for ubuntu and gwenview is default for kubu.

moreover.. when i encounter any problem.. will that problem be of ubuntu or of kubuntu (i.e. kde)

(in any case i will stay in kubuntuforums.. ppl here are smart and polite..better than ubuntu forums.. 8) )

thanks in advance.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: ubuntu with KDE desktop

No -- while you certainly could install the kubuntu-desktop metapackage on a Ubuntu system, and have both Gnome and KDE desktops, there is no reason to expect a faster boot of either one. The GNU/Linux OS underneath the desktop environment(s) is the same for both versions.

How long are you waiting for this slow boot? On you boot menu, if you press "e" while the Kubuntu item is highlighted, you can make a temporary (one time) edit. If you will do that, and use your cursor to delete the work "quiet" from that kernel boot line, then press Enter followed by "b", you will boot with messages displayed. We need to know about the message that is related to the delay (the one that just sits there for a long time).

Comment

@dibl: thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by dibl
      ...How long are you waiting for this slow boot?
      around 15-20 seconds
      On you boot menu, if you press "e" while the Kubuntu item is highlighted, you can make a temporary (one time) edit. If you will do that, and use your cursor to delete the work "quiet" from that kernel boot line, then press Enter followed by "b", you will boot with messages displayed. We need to know about the message that is related to the delay (the one that just sits there for a long time).
      i pressed "e", then edited "quiet", but could not follow where exactly i have to enter "b". so inserted "b" in same edit screen. but obviously did not get any message while i was waiting. (below the edit screen there is direction to press "Ctrl+X" to start boot. which i did.
      after that bunch of lines flashed on screen. saying what all processes are going on in boot.
      last line was something like:
      "Begin: running script init\bottom...Done"
      after that again, system went into kind of wait state. cursor was blinking and nothing happened for 10-15 seconds. followed by 2 seconds of playmouth screen and then login.
      asus A52N

Comment

Originally posted by kapil

around 15-20 seconds
        I'd say that's quite normal - my boot time is ~16 sec, the claim canonial made about a <10 sec boot time is likely on a more beefy system then what you and I have. Mind such claims are directed as much to the linux users as to the competitors (i.e M$ and TheFruitCompany ), I could be wrong though.

i pressed "e", then edited "quiet", but could not follow where exactly i have to enter "b". so inserted "b" in same edit screen. but obviously did not get any message while i was waiting. (below the edit screen there is direction to press "Ctrl+X" to start boot. which i did.
        after that bunch of lines flashed on screen. saying what all processes are going on in boot.
        last line was something like:
        after that again, system went into kind of wait state. cursor was blinking and nothing happened for 10-15 seconds. followed by 2 seconds of playmouth screen and then login.
        More or less the same thing happens to me when I do it. I have a question to dibl though, I saw a slight 'halt' when my USB external HD was shown, could this increase the boot time?
        @Kapil - do you have many USB items connected? scanner, printer, HDs etc? Searching for those could add the extra seconds?

Originally posted by kapil
        (in any case i will stay in kubuntuforums.. ppl here are smart and polite..better than ubuntu forums.. 8) )
        Same reason I choose Kubuntu over Ubuntu
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

As dibl says it's the same under the bonnet so up to the start of desktop loading it doesn't matter which one you are running. If speed of desktop loading were to be the sole criteria, then you would have to say gnome every time. By the time the "kde is loading" splash screen is half way through, you would I expect have a gnome desktop up and running. Mind you, it's worth the wait

Comment

I probably wrote the bit about editing the grub line too quickly. I should have said "remove the 'quiet' option on the kernel boot line and do it like this": http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/...it%20Mode.html

@jonas, YES, there is going to be a hesitation during boot while the Universal Serial Bus is scanned for devices. For each device that is found, it has to be characterized and assigned a bus ID. So, the fewer USB devices that are connected, the faster the boot. Moreover, if an attached USB device is identified as a storage device, and if your BIOS is set to boot from USB devices, then there is another loop of checking for a bootable partition, which is a further delay. You might even get unlucky with a buggy BIOS and hang the boot with a "no bootable devices found" error -- I have seen that.

Anyway, a good habit is to pull the non-essential USB stuff when you shut down.

Comment

thanks for your replies.

@Jonas: no usb attached.. nada zero. and yes.. even i am not bothered too much about the boot time..
              If the system is working something then it was ok.. but from the "not" quite splash it is clear there was no process which is going on.. system is just like waiting for some action for 15 seconds...
              @dibl: i saw similar post as yours in some forum.. asking to continue boot by pressing 'b', after editing boot option.
              i downloaded the bootchart app..

could not attach the bootchart as exceeding 128 kbs. here is the link http://picasaweb.google.com/kapil.ka...76078087489490
              i hope you all can access it.
              the wait time is after running scripts "init bottom" as told in previous post.. but i can not decrypt these images to see what exactly is wrong.. or what is eating up the time.

Who ever understands the boot chart please tell me if i can do anything about it.. else i am going to leave this issue (?) here only.

thanks in advance.
              asus A52N

Comment

I just installed bootchart on both my Kubuntu 10.04 system and also my sidux/KDE4 system, and ran a few test boots.

On Kubuntu, total boot time shows 39 seconds. On sidux, it is 22 seconds. Visually, it looks like about 15 - 18 seconds from hitting "Enter" to getting the greeter, on both OS's.

My desktop rig has a lot of hardware -- 3 disk drives and 10 partitions, 3 different filesystems used, every sensor available (lm-sensors, hddtemp, nvclock, etc.), compiz, a complex conky for each desktop, so I would suppose it will be slower than a laptop or a very simple desktop.

Comment

ok.. now i just looked closly to the boot chart.
                  seems like "ureadahead" is what causing the wait time..
                  and there is no way of reducing the time.
                  Attached Files
                  asus A52N

Comment

Working...
                  X