This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.04 and ATI proprietary Display Driver

This topic is to try and get feed back on what is stated in the subject. My new laptop, see specs below, is great! Love it! Out of the box everything works great except one little thing. The HDMI output with the basic ATI driver Kubuntu uses is Cropped and adjusting the resolution, with in the monitors specs produces all sorts of issues. When using the proprietary driver the HDMI works a lot better, however, the rest of the system goes south. No Compositing at all. No matter what I do and no matter what the ATI Management tools allow. Anybody else? Anywhere for me to start? Couldn't really find anything about it even through Google (could be my search string). I have all sorts of experience with Intel GMA and NVidia and those were always some what easy to fix, but this has me stumped.

Re: 10.04 and ATI proprietary Display Driver

with a 4200 series, you might do best to install the driver from the ati web site, just dl and run their script. , after you install it you can get to the control panel by running "amdcccle" if you want to make the changes stick you should run it as root. (i.e. kdesudo). i have not had much luck w/ the drivers installed by jockey
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Tried it. Still no Compositing available. It also didn't uninstall very nicely, but I got back to where I was. Must be an issue with this particular Display Adapter. It is an "onboard" model.

Comment

yes that could be your issues, i have had overall poor results w/ onboard ati cards...
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Over all I'm very pleased with the default display driver. I just thought maybe I could improve the HDMI portion and just because.

Comment

I used to have to use fglrx on my onboard ato radeonhd 3200 for it to work well with hdmi and my lcd tv - my desktop is my Boxee and multimedia box

In lucid the open drivers seem to work just as well as fglrx did (have not even tried it yet - no need), I can even use desktop effects and don't have any special configurations, (or even an xorg.conf) other than getting my tv's correct resolution set up via xrandr as the thing doesn't send out a useful edid.

Comment

other than getting my tv's correct resolution set up via xrandr
              xrandr? Never thought to run that. Never thought it a useful or purposeful tool. May have to re-evaluate that thought and give that a try. Thanks!

Comment

I only use it as my lcd tv does not report correct info and I don't have an actual monitor connected
                I don't have the link handy, but you need to get modelines form your display, translate that to xrandr, and add the info to a startup script somewhere
                [me=claydoh]looks it up[/me]

Comment

About the compositing problem: Did you check the kernel mode settings (KMS) ? Because, 10.04 comes with plymouth and plymouth uses KMS which in some cases leads to drastic performance drops with the graphics driver, especially with ATI radeon X series cards. Maybe it could be the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X