Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ubuntu switch it's default DE to KDE?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should Ubuntu switch it's default DE to KDE?

I wish I could understand this stuff better. I can do "Hello World" in about 4 different languages but nothing useful in any language.
    I like KDE over Gnome, but will use either. An open mind is best. Some are very vocal about one or the other. KDE/Gnome, C++/C, PC/Apple, but as mentioned above Variety/Personal preference determines all.

40 years ago I decided to take flying lessons at a very small flight school, 2 airplanes. Started in a Cessna 150 (high Wing airplane). Some inconsiderate jerk crashed the Cessna so I had to switch to a Piper Cherokee (low wing). Then discovered 2 schools of thought on High wing/Low wing. The high wing has a better view down but blocks your view in a turn. The low wing is opposite. Which is better? Another flame war. In my case I learned to appreciate both.

To each his own. Consider other views as at least possibly valid.

Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

I think, that the impetus to 'do one better' than the 'other guy' in the development of Linux distros is the fuel that fires the creative engines of the developers. It is also what leads to the strong defense of each distro by it's developers and users, some being more passionate in their defense than others. Neither is a bad thing.

I myself am not fanatical about Kubuntu and KDE, but I do prefer it over Ubuntu and Gnome. I've used both. I just find Kubuntu/KDE a much better fit for me. That, of all reasons for sticking with a Linux disto, is I believe, the single overriding one.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken
        40 years ago I decided to take flying lessons at a very small flight school, 2 airplanes. Started in a Cessna 150 (high Wing airplane). Some inconsiderate jerk crashed the Cessna so I had to switch to a Piper Cherokee (low wing). Then discovered 2 schools of thought on High wing/Low wing. The high wing has a better view down but blocks your view in a turn. The low wing is opposite. Which is better? Another flame war. In my case I learned to appreciate both.
        I trained in both types, too. One had to turn final farther back in a low wing because having the wings closer to the ground they glide down the runway farther before they stall out and touch down than a high wing. My first landing attempt turned into a touch and go.

I'd rather fly than eat and I am hungry all the time. I prefer high wings because I like to sight see while flying. That's also one reason I prefer KDE4 over GNOME.... good looking! But, if push came to shove, I'd use either.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Can you imagine though, what Kubuntu could become, if it had the financial backing the Ubuntu gets?
          To some extent, it has, as they share a lot of code. Additions to Ubuntu often benefits Kubuntu as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Troberg
            Can you imagine though, what Kubuntu could become, if it had the financial backing the Ubuntu gets?
            To some extent, it has, as they share a lot of code. Additions to Ubuntu often benefits Kubuntu as well.
            Often, but not always. I'd like to see the same work on the interface.

Comment

Working...
            X