X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Remove duplicate files

Hi

Rather odd problem here - I recently did a clean install of 10.4 and used backintime to reinstate my home partition. I think a problem occurred as what appears to have happened is that 2 copies of a significant number of files are now on my system. 1 copy has the original name and the other copy bears the file name and a suffix backup. 20100428. It's not happened to all files however suggesting that something interrupted the restore process.

I don't want to go through the files one by one, so can anyone kindly suggest a routine whereby I can remove the duplicates?

TIA

No answer needed - Was able to do a search with Kfind and right click on the files and send to the wastebin. There were over 5000 of them weighing in at 4Gb. From what I can tell it would seem that the backup file suffix was only allocated to duplicates (or at least that's how it looks )

Re: [SOLVED] Remove duplicate files

You could have, assuming that the extension you identified - 20100428 - was on all the duplicates in your users /home directory, deleted them recursively from the console with:
    Code:
    rm -r ~/*20100428
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X