This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No calc

Kubuntu does not come with calc. wtf lol.
    AMD 64 Turon X-2, 4GB RAM, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit

Re: No calc

you may have to install it seperate. the program is named kcalc
    first try to run it (alt+f2) type in kcalc , if you get nothing then you might need to install it
    [code=run in konsole]sudo apt-get install kcalc[/code]
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I don't install calculators, but use them a lot. Up through 9.10, the calculator in Utilities was speedcrunch, which has always been a favorite of mine.

It seems that in 10.04, the default has changed [or just not finalized?] to kcalc, which doesn't really suit my taste. speedcrunch has a very slick display, and displays previous answers. I guess I will be installing that manually if kcalc is chosen as the default.

Comment

It seems that in 10.04, the default has changed [or just not finalized?] to kcalc, which doesn't really suit my taste. speedcrunch has a very slick display, and displays previous answers. I guess I will be installing that manually if kcalc is chosen as the default.

> Re: Lucid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.4 >> Kubuntu Meetings Minutes 2010-01-22:
        Speedcrunch vs. KCalc

We decided to switch to KCalc from Speedcrunch which saves some size and gives us more translations
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

In the interest of fun - how can math have more translations?

Comment

i'm pretty sure that the translations are for the text only , maybe numbers for langs that don't use roman numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by suplero
              In the interest of fun - how can math have more translations?
              OK, I'll take that challenge.

"8" in English = "VIII" in Latin.

Comment

Well I guess I should correct myself, I mean in the command line interface there is no calc command. I installed it easily. But I just thought it was odd that being Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) are some of the fastest growing distros, there is no calc installed in the CLI. I guess with more and more GUI support, people have less need for a CLI calculator.
                AMD 64 Turon X-2, 4GB RAM, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit

Comment

oh use krunner as a calc (alt+f2) then "= 4X5" and it will give you ans good for quick calc usage, there is also the widget calc. as for a pure cli (like when u ssh)your stuck installing one.

Comment

dibl - good one!

I thought [perhaps incorrectly] that all of the menus and such were part of the windowing system, and not the application - so the installed system language would be used on the menus.

Looking more closely at kcalc and speedcrunch, they both have popup tooltips, and I don't know exactly where that text is generated. speedcrunch has a number of built in languages - which is pretty impressive, considering the built in function list and other language based descriptors included. Changing the language in speedcrunch also changes the language of the menus, as well as the tooltips and non-calculator text. kcalc seems to rely on the system languages, so I couldn't test that very well.

The deeper I dig into some open source applications, the more impressed I am with the developers.

speedcrunch tells me that natural logarithm in Russian is "natural logarithm"

Comment

Applications based on Qt4 and which use i18n translation capabilities relies on the "tr" function.

When the designer creates a label for a textbox or button the program code looks like this:

ui.btnEditPersInfo->setText(tr("&Edit"));

where "ui" is the binding to the user interface form created with Qt-Designer, and btnEditPersInfo is the name given to a button control. Since it was created on the heap its properties and methods are accessed via a pointer ("->"). "settext()" is such a method. The tr function looks to the language file (somefile.ts) which contains the matching between "&Edit" and the language the user chooses. "somefile.ts" is created by someone (developer, volunteer) using the Qt-Linguist tool. The "somefile.ts" can be created or supplied by the app developer or by the distro developer or by the KDE dev crew. It is MUCH better if application developers send their *.ts files upstream for merging with the KDE4 developers so that ALL apps have a uniform capability.

So, while I write applications in English, IF I use the tr() function to surround all of my literal English string texts, labels, etc., I don't have to know how to translate "Edit" to some other language. I can depend on the KDE dev crew and their volunteers creating a ts file which contains translations for a large number of languages, including those that I do not know, which is all except English, a smattering of Spanish, and a trace of Greek. This is also why those who do not know how to program but DO KNOW two or more languages can volunteer to create the translation files (*.ts) and be of significant service to FOSS.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X