This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pappy's kernel seeds

Maybe some of y'all know about this already but an internet friend just turned me on to this.

Apparently Pappy distributes known working kernel configurations where all you do is add support for your hardware and compile the thing. I found it interesting and may play with it a little bit tomorrow - thought some of y'all might be interested too.

http://kernel-seeds.org
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: pappy's kernel seeds

Interesting site.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

to bad they don't seam to have debian or ubuntu seeds...
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        to bad they don't seam to have debian or ubuntu seeds...
        A kernel's a kernel - or should be. I'm gonna try and package the thing and see what happens.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
          A kernel's a kernel - or should be. I'm gonna try and package the thing and see what happens.
          correct me if i am wrong here as i might be.
          but i was always under the impression that most (if not all) distros apply special patches to there kernel to allow/disable the use of certian features.
          either way , let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
            correct me if i am wrong here as i might be.
            but i was always under the impression that most (if not all) distros apply special patches to there kernel to allow/disable the use of certian features.
            either way , let us know how it goes.
            I could be wrong too, but a vanilla kernel *should* work. Found out that both menuconfig and xconfig liked Pappy's .config file just fine. I'm stalling a little because I have to either compile restricted modules or install the driver for my broadcom WLAN card by hand - plus I'm doing this on a netbook. I should know more soon
            -- anais nin

Comment

i've got my fingers crossed for you.. G'L

Comment

I used to compile all my kernels to customize them to my hardware and desires, but with the advent of LiveCD's, rolling updates and automatic patches, my custom kernel getting replaced, requiring me to download the kernel source (not just the headers) and recompiling. Got tired of it so I quite doing it.

Besides, modern kernels have just about every hardware feature compiled as a module, so all one has to do, generally, is insmod or modprobe the .ko file one needs.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  I used to compile all my kernels to customize them to my hardware and desires, but with the advent of LiveCD's, rolling updates and automatic patches, my custom kernel getting replaced, requiring me to download the kernel source (not just the headers) and recompiling. Got tired of it so I quite doing it.

Besides, modern kernels have just about every hardware feature compiled as a module, so all one has to do, generally, is insmod or modprobe the .ko file one needs.
                  True - I had enough of rolling my own kernels years ago. I was interested in rolling a Karmic netbook kernel since nobody makes one yet. I may just wait until array.org comes up with something.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                  X