This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moonlight on Linux

Thx for the info. The only toolkits I've really used are QT4, MFC, & Java Swing. I never wanted to spend the time to learn FLTK, GTK+, wxWidgets, Carbon, Cocoa...
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I am watching the Winter Olympics over NBC's streaming video service using the Moonlight 2.99 plugin for Firefox.

It runs nicely.

NBC requires that you are a cable customer if you want to access their live or recent replay videos. (I am, so I was required to sign in with my cable provider to be eligible to watch the streaming videos).

You may quibble with the restrictions, but kudos must be given to Novell's Moonlight project in bringing Moonlight 2.99 to readiness in time for the Olympics.

The plugin can be downloaded from:

http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx

And, duh, you don't watch it on your computer. You buy a cable that runs from the video output of your computer (you have a laptop, right?) to your TV (an HDI cable for newer computers or an S-video cable/audio cord for you dinosaurs) and then watch over your big screen. Only takes a quick trip to your electronics store to find the cables...

We only rarely watch regular TV anymore. It's Hulu or other online content, piped through the TV as described, nearly exclusively.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. If you are watching online TV, you may want to learn about QOS (Quality of Service) filters in your router. You can give priority to certain net services (such as Hulu or NBC streaming) if you don't want to be interrupted by your kids whenever they are playing on the Internet...

(This is critical for VOIP applications, of course).

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I'm never ever gonna try Moonlight again. I tried it four times over a long period, and it's the only thing that ever crashed Firefox on Linux. Not once, but four times. I've installed it the good way, because (some of the) demo-sites worked. But visiting other sites: crash.
        And I don't give Novell kudos at all. This is only used to tell the European Commission they don't have a monopoly. See: it's even running on Linux.
        Here in Holland you can watch tv-programs from national tv for free on internet. Even very old ones. But they choose Silverlight. Because it's even running on Linux. And because it's cheap.
        Of course it's cheap. Microsoft wants to push it. Maybe they even got paid to use it, who knows. It's a secret what they paid, so everything is possible.
        I tried it four times on the tv-site: never seen a program, every time a crash.

Comment

Working...
        X