Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up a small server w/ Kubuntu. Any suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a small server w/ Kubuntu. Any suggestions?

First of all, excuse me if this isn`t the right forum to post and if there is another topic about this. But i have not found it. So...

There is my situation: I`ve a desktop machine running Kubuntu [pentium 4 1,7Ghz | 1Gb RAM | 80Gb hdd] that I would like to use as a server for my music and some generic files. But the machine that I really use, is a MacBook [core 2 duo 2,1Ghz | 1 Gb RAM | 120 Gb hdd] with Mac OS X Leopard. Plus my mom uses a Sony Vaio [don`t know the specs] with Windows XP and my brother has another notebook [core 2 duo 1,6Ghz | 2Gb | 120Gb hdd] running Linux — some distribution that we`ll gonna change to Kubuntu HH.
    Well, as I said, there is any way to set up my Kubuntu Desktop as a shared server so that anyone here can use and acess trought the wireless network? I don`t know if Kubuntu is the most recommended linux distribution for small servers, but it`s the most friendly I know — and it is my fav one.

Our network is configured like this:
    ADSL > D-Link DSL-500G GenerationII modem > 3Com Officeconnect Wireless router >[direct connected to the router by cable]>Kubuntu desktop. And the others computers connected in wireless network.

I can see here in my MacBook, my brothers computer shared. So, I believe that the compatibility between linux and mac os will probably give me less problems. But the windows xp will be a pain.

And an additional question: anyone can suggest a good way to share a printer in this network? I believe that will be more easy to connect it to the desktop, but I don`t know if both the mac os x and the windows xp will access the printer.

Well, sorry for my poor English. And thanks for any help!
    Best regrets!
    Mellow is the man who knows what he&#39;s been missing <br />Many many men can&#39;t see the open road.

Re: Setting up a small server w/ Kubuntu. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the party

I am not expert on linux-mac networks but this should get you going:
    http://www.linux.com/feature/54739

You might want to check (search) this forum on how to set up a NFS network system.

But this is a good place to start:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

good luck
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I guess setting a ftp server is the best choice.

#apt-get install vsftpd

That's my favorite
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

It's not a question of "if there's a way" as much as it's a question of "which of the many ways". You got:
        ftp -- works with everything, but it's a little inconvenient. Also IE7 has done a good job of making explorer's almost useless ftp client abilities completely useless.
        samba/cifs -- should work with mac/windows, but some people have had trouble getting it to work in hardy heron. It's a little crazy to do because there are multiple sets of permissions to deal with, multiple emulation modes, etc.
        nfs -- really good file sharing system, but it has a learning curve to set up and you may need extra software on Windows (not sure about OS X).
        sshfs/fish/sftp -- easy if everyone is on Linux, don't know about the other OS's.
        webdav -- can't say I've ever figured this one out, but it's supposed to be the file sharing method of the future ?
        Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Working...
        X