Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem installing may be fixed by slowing the burn speed but how?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem installing may be fixed by slowing the burn speed but how?

I've tried installing 7.10 but it freezes on the last stage (doing the file system thing) and else where it was suggested that burning the image at 4x may work however, when I went to do this the slowest speed was 8x. Is there any way round this?

Ashley

Re: Problem installing may be fixed by slowing the burn speed but how?

In K3b, where you are burning the iso image to CD, there's a drop-down list of speeds (at the lower right area).

However, that's just part of the story. My Sony DRU810A DVD+/-RW writer, will not burn below 12x on my Verbatum disks (CD or DVD). So a good burner and good, proven disks. But the available burning speed is a function of K3B, of the disk, and of your burner.

I know "experts" who question the 4x thing. There's no evidence I know of that supports that claim. In fact, one guy told me it might be too slow, depending. On the other hand, I would not burn these installation disks at 30x! I burn ALL mine at 12x (because that's the slowest available) and I have never had a single problem, and I've burned 50 or more "serious disks" thus far in my two years doing this.

Do check the Md5sum; and do select the option on the Live Kubuntu CD to "Check this disk for defects."
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm using K3b exclusively, with CD-RW discs rated at 4x write speed. I've made no adjustments in K3b to the burning speed, which approaches 10x while the write procedes, and I've had no problems at all. Every disc I've burned has been without error. In my case, I'm using generic CompUSA discs (assuredly made by some other manufacturer).
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, and if you do set some slow, unsupported speed in K3b, it will "adjust" it up higher as it starts the process (and it tells you so in the list of messages it prints on the screen).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I’ve poked around a bit more, nothing I can reference yet, but from reliable sources, I see a pattern:
          Don’t burn too slow for the media—do not burn slower than the media is rated for as that can cause errors.
          Japanese-made disks are very reliable. (This seems to be an important factor these days, with so many makers out there doing it.)
          Verbatim comes up a lot as a good, safe choice.
          Speeds starting at 8x work, and, of course, depend on the media. I do all mine at 12x – never a problem.
          CD-R are more reliable than RW and are faster and cheaper.
          Remember, if you get a bad batch, a bad spindle of disks, chances are that all the disks on that spindle will be bad, and that seems to be par for the course these days and can happen with any maker. Keep your receipts.

This has been my “street” impression now for a couple years, hanging out at a hardware forum.
          If I run into more info, or something that can be more credibly referenced, I’ll post it here.

Comment

an added, and good, point, from someone I asked:

"I should add that if you use cheap, low quality media, say most discs made in India or Malaysia, you may in fact have to slow the burner down quite a lot to get a burn that will be readable even on the same drive that performed the burn in the first place.

With cheap media it is entirely possible that you will have to burn a CD-R rated at 48X at the slow speed of 4X in order to produce usable discs. "

Maybe that explains where some of this talk about 4x comes from?
            People using bad disks at fast speeds.

Buy good media (Japan; Verbatim are two tips), use ordinary CD-R, burn at 8-12x (maybe faster), and you'll be fine.

Comment

Thanks for replies.
              I'm using CD-R's by Philips, I burned one on the auto setting and one on the lowest but had the same result. I'm going to see what CD's are hanging around at work.

Comment

See this discussion:
                http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...6598;&#top

Summary:
                Verbatim is now made in India.
                May not be up to Verbatim quality--it's an open question now.
                Recommended optical brand:
                Taiyo-Yuden DVD+R and CD-R discs
                (I've heard this for a couple years now.)

fwiw.
                (from reliable sources)

Comment

Working...
                X