This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ssh tunnel?

I would like to setup an ssh server to tunnel traffic to over a public wlan. I don't have many hardware options open, so this "server" would be in the form of a pentium 166 w/ 64megs of ram. Because of this, I was thinking of something without a GUI by default (debian?). All that I really want to do is bounce ALL of my traffic off of this machine. Would an ssh client with the proper port forwarding setup and my ssh server be all that I need?

Re: ssh tunnel?

install Kubuntu with the parameter -server and it shouldn't install a GUI, or any unneeded services.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
      install Kubuntu with the parameter -server and it shouldn't install a GUI, or any unneeded services.
      Sweet...didn't realize that.

Do I need anything else, or can SSH itself proxy/bounce everything for me? That's what I really wasn't sure on.

Comment

Also...since I'd be ditching X anyway... would there be any advantage/disadvantage to using ubuntu over kubuntu?

Comment

I'm not familiar with ssh at all/never used it, so I apologize if this is an otherwise obvious question.

Comment

Originally posted by rockit
            Also...since I'd be ditching X anyway... would there be any advantage/disadvantage to using ubuntu over kubuntu?

There is probably no difference. Anyway I haven't found any. Then you just have to install openssh-server, and you'll have a ssh server.
            You can mount filesystems on clients using sshfs and fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by tkjacobsen
              Originally posted by rockit

There is probably no difference. Anyway I haven't found any. Then you just have to install openssh-server, and you'll have a ssh server.
              You can mount filesystems on clients using sshfs and fuse.
              OK...that's what I was guessing.

As far as the ssh functionality...I know on the client end that you can forward your local ports to the ssh server, but what I'm not clear on is if the ssh server can proxy the traffic itself or if I have to have something like squid too? All that I want to do is tunnel all my traffic to the ssh server and have the ssh server bounce all the traffic out to net. Do I need just the ssh server or ssh + squid + ?

Thanks for all the help...

Comment

Working...
              X