X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some question about KDE/Fesity

Hi

I have been running Ubuntu Dapper Drake, and are going to upgrade to Feisty Fawn. But this time I am going fro Kubuntu(I have tried KDE and love it).

First off all; are you happy with this realse? As I understand it some folks didnt like the Dapper version with KDE.

Most of my programs are “K” programs. But I have never tried the default mail client in KDE(kontact), how is that compared to Thunderbird, and do will it be easy to import my contacts and mail into it?

I also use a program to store my password, called Keepass, can I find a “K” program that those the same thing?

I will also install some programs from GNOME, as Gimp and so on. I came over this program(http://www.kabatology.com/04/20/gtk-...ations-on-kde/) that can change how gtk programs will look under KDE; do you know if this will slow down my computer?

Thanks for any help

Re: Some question about KDE/Fesity

I'm VERY pleased with my Kubuntu Feisty installation. I installed Feisty at Herd 4, and then upgraded each time they released a new Herd, until they released Beta, at which point I decided to do a clean new installation, because of some "damage" I did breaking things in the Herd 5 version.

But, today everything is more stable that it ever was in Edgy. I'm running the 32-bit kernel even though my Core 2 Extreme platform could run the 64-bit. I have a Ubuntu 64-bit installation on another hard drive on the same system, but I find more "issues" in that Ubuntu system. I was thinking of using the 64-bit system for some audio capturing work that I want to do, but honestly I'm inclined to just use this 32-bit Kubuntu system because everything seems to need less fiddling to make it work.

I don't use the KDE e-mail or password programs, so can't comment on them. gimp works perfectly.

Comment

Hey look at my first post...I am not happy.. I am stunned that LINUX can do so much in so many ways. I run PCLOS on my PCs but for the IBook G4 Feisty is KING
      Some do...Some Don&#039;t<br /> I might.

Comment

Thank you for your answers I have now installed Kubuntu and it all looks very nice. I dont think Adept are as good as Synaptic(it has problem to start sometimes), but everything else is nice.

Edit;
        I have tried Beryl now and it didnt work out well, so I have removed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffen
          I dont think Adept are as good as Synaptic(it has problem to start sometimes), but everything else is nice.
          IMHO Synaptic is still ahead of Adept in usability, but Adept seems to be catching on. If you prefer Synaptic you can install it on kubuntu, too.

Adept not starting every time seems to be fixed by setting sudo timeout to 0 (Although after that, sudo won't remember your password for 15 minutes after you've used it, which is the default, so you have to type your password every time you use sudo)

If you wish to change the timeout, edit /etc/sudoers (NOTE: be very careful when editing this file, you may bork sudo if you make a typo...after which the recovery mode is your friend)

Change the 'defaults' line to:
          Defaults !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn,timestamp_timeout=0

Comment

Working...
          X