This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delete A Partition

soo for some reason when i upgraded from edgy to feisty, it wouldn't boot correctly. i decided "ah what the heck, i'll just reinstall everything" and put in kubuntu 6.10 cd. that didn't want to boot either, probably because it saw i already had that on. so i put in my ubuntu cd and fully installed that (thinking i'll just make an iso of feisty fawn). well it turns out when i boot up i have 3 different installation choices: Kubuntu Edgy, Feisty, and ubuntu 6.06. i just choose feisty and it works again

i just want to delete ubuntu, as it resized my partition to use the other half of the hard drive i wasn't using.

any way to delete the ubunutu partition?

Re: Delete A Partition

Hi,

If it's after the kubuntu one, you should have no troubles to delete it by gparted or qtparted. If it's mounted, first umount it.
    If it's not after the kubuntu partition, so you will maybe have troubles because your drive number will change. Instead of sda5 it will be for example sda4 so you will need to change grub, /etc/fstab and maybe few other things I don't see now.

Hope it helps

Comment

hey-

none of that made sense, sorry. for clarity: i originally had kubuntu 6.10~upgraded to 7.04, it briefly failed, i reformatted the partition that 7.04 was on to install ubuntu 6.06. how do i use gparted, qtparted, etc?

Comment

Sorry I guess I didn't understand well...
        You reformatted the partition, so you reinstall feisty ?
        How is your disk partitionned now ?

I thought you just tried to install ubuntu, it resized your kubuntu feisty install and install itself on it, I'm wrong ?

Anyway, qtparted or gparted can be used from your feisty (download it from Adept installer) or from a livecd, I know there's a light gparted cd. But you have to know what you're doing, you can loose all your datas.

Comment

riiight..... all i want to do is delete a partition.
          so far, twice i've been told that i can use qtparted or gparted.... but nobody's said how.

is there anyone who can just say "hey this is how gparted works, do this and/or that"

just typing those commands in the terminal don't do anything.

Comment

Ok, Got it
            So once you've installed gparted (let's go for this one) by adept or cli (sudo apt-get install gparted)
            Launch it via kdesu gparted to run it as root.
            You will see your drive in the left menu, click it, then you will see all partitions from it. Right click on the one you want to delete, click delete and there's should be somewhere a apply button. click it also and it should be done.
            Remember about my first post, you can have troubles if it's mounted ,so first you should umount the partition (sudo umount /dev/xdyz - replace xyz by the good values)

Hope it helps

Comment

what i ended up doing was downloading the .iso image of 7.04 and completely restarted everything, new partitions, the whole shebang. although beforehand, i did manage to download and play around with gparted and figured out how it worked. thanks for the info on that.

i have problems with my wireless again, but that's for another thread

Comment

Working...
              X