This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beryl/XGL - Installed but does nothing

I've got Beryl installed, beryl-manager in my taskbar, etc but it doesn't actually do anything!

Under Select Window Managers, the only usable one is KWin. Choosing Beryl puts all windows on one screen, nukes borders along with the toolbar and disables window switching, either by Alt+Tab or even by mouse. (My only option is to close each window till I get back to console, type in 'beryl-manager' and go back to KWin.)

And none of the keys work. Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right Arrow does nothing for example while Alt-Tab simply brings up the regular KDE task switcher.

I know it's not my hardware as XGL/compiz works fine under Suse 10.1 on the same machine.

And while I'm at it, how do you select a theme in Emerald? I get lots of lovely themes come up but the only options are Refresh, Import, Fetch More Themes and Quit.

Re: Beryl/XGL - Installed but does nothing

I have the same problem... if you have an ati graphics video car and do not work with ati radeon drivers then..you will have to wait until new upgrade of beryl.

but..if you or someone know how to solve the problem, comments are more than welcome :-)

Comment

If you start beryl-manager from the console it will give you some useful error messages. Try posting them to see if someone can make some sense from them.

Javier.

Comment

When starting Beryl from the console I get this error message;

(beryl-manager:10350): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_check_menu_item_set_active: assertion `GTK_IS_CHECK_MENU_ITEM (check_menu_item)' failed

When I start Beryl Settings Manager I get;

libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libshowdesktop.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libresize.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/librotate.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libsettings.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libzoom.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libbench.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libneg.so: undefined symbol: defaultColor
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libtrailfocus.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libsplash.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libput.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libmove.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libwater.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libanimation.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libwobbly.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libswitcher.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libstate.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libplace.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libplane.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libblurfx.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libscreenshot.so: undefined symbol: pointerX
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libdecoration.so: undefined symbol: infiniteRegion
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libcube.so: undefined symbol: programName
        libberylsettings: Couldn't get vtable from '/usr/lib/beryl/libbs.so' plugin
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libscale.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libcrashhandler.so: undefined symbol: programName
        libberylsettings: dlopen: /usr/lib/beryl/libfade.so: undefined symbol: nWindowTypeString

Comment

Problem Solved! Whooo Hooo!

The Clue:
          When I tried to run compiz from a console I got the message
          "compiz.real: No composite extension"

So I checked out /etc/X11/xorg.conf and discovered;

Section "Extensions"
          Option "Composite" "Disable"
          EndSection

Whoops!

The Solution:
          Change (or if it's not present) add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf;

Section "Extensions"
          Option "Composite" "Enable"
          EndSection

Restart X, choose Beryl from Select Window Manager and everything works! (Including the Emerald theme changer.)

Comment

Good-O!

Now, for fun, try installing and running the Aquamarine windows decorator. I haven't got it to run more than 5 seconds without crashing, but I have an Nvidia display card. I'm curious to see if anyone else can get it to run.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Good-O!

Now, for fun, try installing and running the Aquamarine windows decorator. I haven't got it to run more than 5 seconds without crashing, but I have an Nvidia display card. I'm curious to see if anyone else can get it to run.
              Hmm, what's it supposed to do? All I've found was this on the wiki:
              Aquamarine is a window decorator for Beryl that uses the native KWin window decorations. This way, users can keep their native KDE window decorations with Beryl. You can simply choose your KWin theme in KDE Control Center and Aquamarine will use it.

I installed it, but it seems to break KWin when I switch to it. Or at least it makes parts of the toolbar vanish. It doesn't seem to offer any other features. And it certainly doesn't seem to work with the Beryl commands.

Comment

Working...
              X