X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] The system must restart

Or words to that effect.

I always use the terminal to update/upgrade in Kubuntu 20.04 and 21.04 (5.23 beta) but decided to use Discover in KDE neon 5.22.5 for the last few days.

After nearly each update notification and updating via Discover, there'd be a GUI prompt to restart which I would immediately obey.

Yesterday, there were ~37 KDE Gear packages to update. After updating, I chose to ignore the GUI prompt and shutdown the system via the launcher's GUI.

Today, immediately upon booting into the system, I was presented with an update prompt ... for the same 37 packages. I accepted and the update was finished instantly, no downloading of packages, installing, etc. And then I got the GUI prompt to restart again (which I did)!

So I'm thinking that Discover's "restart" prompt has to be accepted. Shutting down and rebooting the next day isn't seen as a restart. Why?
    Kubuntu 20.04

That's 'Offline Updates' similar to that other OS. They are downloaded but only applied on a restart.

You can turn it off! It's the last option in System Settings.
    Attached Files
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Because the system needs to reboot to a special mode where the updates are applied and then rebooted back into a normal mode.

Shutting down/restarting via the start menu, command line, whatever, is not telling the system it has to boot into this mode and apply updates.

I am sure this can be further automated in the future, it probably would fairly straightforward to have this detected during a normal restart process.

general info on the process:
      https://blog.neon.kde.org/2021/03/01...es-are-coming/
      https://www.freedesktop.org/software...e-updates.html
      And of course offline updates can be turned off in System Settings

Comment

Will have to mark this [SOLVED] after such a thorough explanation!
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

But ...

after a hasty reading of the blog link:
          This has the tremendous advantage that you no longer need to interrupt whatever you are doing to update the system.
          While I get the advantage of doing the install during a reboot, how does that fit with "you no longer need to interrupt whatever you are doing"?

The notification to update pops up nearly immediately after starting the machine and the restart prompt appears immediately after the packages have been downloaded. So, the way I see it, I am more interrupted this way than in the old way(s) in which I update "completely" and then get on with whatever I wanted to do.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Perhaps a bug? Or something has been changed?

I turned it off as I don't think it is necessary to do this for every single update, and I (until recently) seldom reboot or shut down my systems.

But I may look at it, and start using it again on my PC as I do now shut it down nightly.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

@BeerisLife, your image has "Use offline updates" unchecked. Is that because you unchecked it? Mine, in KDE neon, is checked. But in Kubuntu 21.04, with the beta ppa to get Plasma 5.22.90, it is unchecked by default.

That aside, Update software manually is the default for both KDE neon & Kubuntu 21.04 (5.22.90). Is this setting related to "unattended upgrades"? All very confusing!!!
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I unchecked it and selected to update manually.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  @BeerisLife, your image has "Use offline updates" unchecked. Is that because you unchecked it? Mine, in KDE neon, is checked. But in Kubuntu 21.04, with the beta ppa to get Plasma 5.22.90, it is unchecked by default.

That aside, Update software manually is the default for both KDE neon & Kubuntu 21.04 (5.22.90). Is this setting related to "unattended upgrades"? All very confusing!!!
                  No, I think it is related to Packagekit/Discover as well as systemd.offline-updates. I think this is somewhat new, and addresses the concerns I had expressed when this first came out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211009_074042.png
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	645232

Now to wait for something to update, lol

Comment

I'll use the same settings in my VM
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Muon no longer allows access to the software configuration tab so adjusting the software update button is not possible.
                      So, I created an alias, pku, in ~/.bashrc that does
                      pku='pkcon update --only-download && pkcon offline-trigger'

It was in one of the links that Claydoh supplied.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Why would the package maintainers WANT to deny access to software configuration in KD neon!
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          Muon no longer allows access to the software configuration tab so adjusting the software update button is not possible.
                          So, I created an alias, pku, in ~/.bashrc that does
                          pku='pkcon update --only-download && pkcon offline-trigger'

It was in one of the links that Claydoh supplied.
                          KDE Neon does not include *buntu's Software Sources tool. Never has.

Install software-properties-qt, and Muon should pick it up and the option should be available there, at least it did last time I installed Muon on KDE Neon . Been a while.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          Why would the package maintainers WANT to deny access to software configuration in KD neon!
                          They aren't.
                          Neon is not trying to be Kubuntu, or 'steal' the Ubuntu-sourced things that make Kubuntu different. They also are not attempting to be anything like a full-on all-around distro at all.

The configs are identical to Ubuntu's, and Debian's (which has no similar tool of its own)
                          And the *buntu tools like Software Sources/driver management gui are still available if one wants them.

There has been little worry over the lack of these items over the past 5 years.

Comment

Come to think of it, I turned it off by the command line option before this System Setting was introduced. Still early in the morning and can't remeber what it was. It's probably in one of my threads.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                              Or words to that effect.

I always use the terminal to update/upgrade in Kubuntu 20.04 and 21.04 (5.23 beta) but decided to use Discover in KDE neon 5.22.5 for the last few days.

After nearly each update notification and updating via Discover, there'd be a GUI prompt to restart which I would immediately obey.

Yesterday, there were ~37 KDE Gear packages to update. After updating, I chose to ignore the GUI prompt and shutdown the system via the launcher's GUI.

Today, immediately upon booting into the system, I was presented with an update prompt ... for the same 37 packages. I accepted and the update was finished instantly, no downloading of packages, installing, etc. And then I got the GUI prompt to restart again (which I did)!

So I'm thinking that Discover's "restart" prompt has to be accepted. Shutting down and rebooting the next day isn't seen as a restart. Why?

So, I have tested two sets of updates over the weekend, and both times I have restarted from the start menu, and the updates have installed during the reboot on both occasions.
                              The "bug" that everything seems to be a "system update" persists, requiring a reboot for such mundane things as video editor packages. I switched my Openshot PPA to their 'daily' one, just to trigger an update over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X