This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Possible missing firmware

When I did a dist-upgrade an hour or so ago, I got this.

Code:
    Processing triggers for linux-image-5.11.0-25-generic (5.11.0-25.27~20.04.1) ...
    /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-25-generic
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_49.0.1.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_49.0.1.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_49.0.1.bin for module i915
    I found some references on the web, but nothing really helpful. In particular:

-- What hardware is this firmware for?
    -- Do I care?
    -- If so, how to fix it?

Thanks in advance. I'm at kernel 5.8.0-63 (until I reboot into 5.11.0-25 I just installed), plasma 5.22.4, KDE 5.84.0.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

No real issue, this is a common message to see. Happens when there is a firmware or kernel update, it usually just shows what the message says - possible missing form firmware files, usually for specific graphics devices, and almost always for one that you are not using.

Code:
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_49.0.1.bin for module i915
    i915 is related to Intel graphics, and from what I understand the new kernel supports newer devices, but the firmware files (found in a different package) have not caught up to include the new support.
    Nothing to worry about unless you have such a device, but as your system was working fine before, it is not using any of the 'possibly missing' firmware files
    Annoying that it shows up in the updates, and it is simply a warning, not an actual error. But scary looking for sure.

I see this regularly with major new kernel bumps like this related to my AMD card, as a new kernels usually brings support to a huge swath of the new AMD cards that are constantly coming out.

So: you don't need to care about it, unless of course you lose your video. Fixing it would involve manually downloading a more current set of firmware files and manually placing them in the correct location. IMO not worth the effort for a usually meaningless warning message
    Last edited by claydoh; Aug 05, 2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Good, thanks.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, I got that today on jumping from 5.8 to 5.11 kernel (neon 5.22.4).
        Rebooted, and, saul good-man. Ws arent (usually) much of a cause for worry. Es tend to to be a bit more...exhausting ;-)

Comment

Yeah, for sure

When I first moved from Nvidia to an AMD card a couple, of years ago, this one caught me off guard, as the list was looooonnngg. My first thought was: "oh carp, AMD has become a pita (again) just like Team Green I have just wasted m y money for nothing"
          That was quickly dispelled upon further investigation

Comment

Dispelled indeed...
            https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...or-module-i915
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X