This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] New offline updater

I can't see where to turn it off in Discover or System Settings. I want to see what updates I'm applying. I just had my first taste of it and I don't like it!

If not, then it's back to the Terminal for me!

If I wanted my system to act like windows I'd install windows!
    Last edited by Beerislife; Apr 07, 2021, 01:27 AM.
    Constant change is here to stay!

In Discover, click on Settings, then click on the three vertical dots (More Actions) and click on Software Sources. Enter your password and on the next window, select the Updates tab and set to your liking.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 8.46.49 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	645118
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 07, 2021, 07:59 AM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Pretty frickin' easy to view: Simply click the 'System Updates' entry to see the full list - today was the Plasma 5.21.4

Name:	Screenshot_20210407_094326.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	645117

I'd prefer a logout for plasma-specific upgrades as opposed to a reboot myself, systemd may offer that at some point, I am sure

https://blog.neon.kde.org/index.php/...es-are-coming/
      https://blog.neon.kde.org/index.php/...ates-are-here/

Systemd hate-ons in 5...4...3....

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        In Discover, click on Settings, then click on the three vertical dots and click on Software Sources. Enter your password and on the next window, select the Updates tab and set to your liking.
        Neon does not include the Kubuntu/Lubunutu software sources tool, which in any case does not control this systemd feature

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Neon does not include the Kubuntu/Lubunutu software sources tool, which in any case does not control this systemd feature
          I'm running KDE neon User Edition (from March 11, 2021 ISO build) and took the screen shot from there. Clicking on More Actions from Settings brings gets me the Software Sources window. I also have Muon Package Manager installed. Is that how, through Discover, I'm accomplishing this?

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.16.32 AM.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	645119

Comment

Probably. Neon does not come with Ubuntu's software-properties-qt installed, but it is a dependency for Muon iirc

Oops, no it is not. I'll guess you may have installed it to get the driver manager, perhaps?
            Still, this config tool does not control the offline-updates. This is specific to Packagekit, and thus Discover, and pkcon on the command line, with the proper options used. It is not an apt-specific thing.
            Last edited by claydoh; Apr 07, 2021, 11:12 AM. Reason: ooopies

Comment

I'm confused by the term "offline-updates". How can one get updates if one is 'offline'?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                I'm confused by the term "offline-updates". How can one get updates if one is 'offline'?

Because it updates when it is offline?

ie offline as in not running, instead offline as in disconnected from the network.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Because it updates when it is offline?

ie offline as in not running, instead offline as in disconnected from the network.
                  Yeah, like 'offline' in this case is totally intuitive! Would be better, as in better clarification, if 'while-idle' had been used, IMO.

Comment

Dunno. It made sense to me, and I'll guess it probably makes sense in multiple languages, perhaps?

Comment

It updates when you reboot, which is annoying. Very annoying. You reboot, it applies the updates and reboots again! I don't want windows!

I want the packages to be applied while I'm still doing other stuff, the old way.

In Neon the package is software-properties-kde. There is no option to change the update behaviour.

There are updates today, I will use the Terminal!

Comment

It is not Windows
                        the second reboot may be bug in the implementation

Use the terminal, no big deal
                        log off or reboot manually after a new plasma version upgrade. Which sometimes you can't do from the desktop because of the mismatch of old libs still loaded in ram
                        An option button would be nice, if only to reduce the complaints, much as the offline updating reduces various other gripes

Comment

I found the cure:

sudo apt remove kde-config-updates plasma-discover plasma-discover-common

����������

Comment

Why use a sledgehammer?

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...3614cd#p444601
                            Code:
                            kwriteconfig5 --file discoverrc --group Software --key UseOfflineUpdates --type bool false

Comment

Now, of course if *all* updates via Discover are offline, that would be very poopy.
                              I need to find some things to update to test.

Comment

Working...
                              X