Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An error occurred during the signature verification.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] An error occurred during the signature verification.

I can't do an apt update without errors anymore.

Code:
    $ sudo apt  update    
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    All packages are up to date.
    W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32 NO_PUBKEY 871920D1991BC93C
    and more of the same errors. Could this be because of my having delted all the *.gpg files in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d in an effort to correct another problem?

Btw, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Discover to do this. The online info is out of date and I can not find any software update tab on mine. I'm at Plasma version 5.20.4.
    Last edited by joneall; Dec 24, 2020, 02:06 AM.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ight=NO_PUBKEY

You have to replace the key with the key(s) that apt is telling you about. In your specific case, you'll run the command twice:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 871920D1991BC93C
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      You have to replace the key with the key(s) that apt is telling you about. In your specific case, you'll run the command twice:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32
      sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 871920D1991BC93C
      It's better now, but I still get the msg for NO_PUBKEY E6D4736255751E5D. I presume I should pass the same command for that key.

Yup, that did it. I'm not sure what these keys are for. Thanks a lot.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Those GPG keys are what apt uses to verify that the repositories are legitimate, and are what they say they are.

They have zero connection to the skype keyring problem you have/had. btw.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
          Btw, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Discover to do this.
          Discover is mostly just a front end to APT, as is the apt command, synaptic, muon, and so on. If APT is broken changing the front end won't help, mostly.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
            Btw, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Discover to do this. The online info is out of date and I can not find any software update tab on mine. I'm at Plasma version 5.20.4.
            With Discover running, click on Settings (bottom left) and then in the window on the right, click on Software Sources. You'll be prompted for password. Once verified, a new window will open (Software Sources). All the Tabs one is used to seeing are there.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X