This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neon testing not updating 'Bionic'

Hay all my KFN friends , long time no typey @hear , or anywhere , physical life has been taking all my digital time

So running updates on my Neon testing install today I noted that I did not see anything in the output for a neon source.
    checked the sources.list and "http://archive.neon.kde.org/testing/" is their and uncommented .
    going to http://archive.neon.kde.org/testing/ in a web browser I see the bionic sections have received no modifications since 10/something .

so can I assume that one must now "do-release-upgrade" upgrade to Focal to remain on the KDE front lines ?

if so do any of you know of any querks to look out for when I do do it , I have not had the time to stay on top of things hear ,,,sorry .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

no quirks outside of the usual for upgrading *buntu, really.
    downgrade from from any driver/mesa PPAs before upgrading is always a good step
    Not sure how running Testing effects things, tbh. It shouldn't, but not getting the usual upgrade notification could mean it either isn't supported, they never bothered to enable this in Testing, or it was a 'normal' bug in Ubuntu's upgrade tool.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      no quirks outside of the usual for upgrading *buntu, really.
      downgrade from from any driver/mesa PPAs before upgrading is always a good step
      Not sure how running Testing effects things, tbh. It shouldn't, but not getting the usual upgrade notification could mean it either isn't supported, they never bothered to enable this in Testing, or it was a 'normal' bug in Ubuntu's upgrade tool.
      ya I think I had disabled upgrade notifications , will try it tomorrow prob ,,,thanks for the reply

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

OOPS ,,,,, hit the wrong key and removed "obsolete" software ,,,,,580+ packages , looked like most of the system <Doh> reboot to

Code:
        error: symbol 'grub_file_filters' not found
        Entering rescue mode...
        grub rescue>
        this was the system that controlled grub and it looked like a LARGE part of it got removed in those "obsolete" packages , yes I knew better than to let that happen , but tired and wrong key and to fast an "enter" and POOF it was gone . LOL

well I had been thinking of a redo on the box any way , so now it's a must

I'm on a old Neon 5.8.something live USB at the moment to retrieve my /etc/grub.d/40_custom that boots the SSD (hole disk BTRFS) and do some re-partitioning on the 500GB drive and then a reinstall .
        Most all my important data is safe on a 1T drive (also BTRFS) that holds my /home directory's (shared) from all the installs.

well that's my horror story for the year
        now down to work .

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Well just reinstalled with the latest Neon-user , I just do not have the time any more for mucking about with testing and the such , at least not now .

now to put back my /etc/grub.d/40_custom so I can get back to my Kubuntu-18.04 on the SSD and 2 older kubuntus on a different partition (BTRFS) hummm it may be time to scrap that Kubuntu-14.04 as well Humm .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
          X