This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFI and reFind on multiple disks

I just replaced my /dev/sdb by a new SDD drive. I installed a new Neon system on it. During the install, I was required to furnish not only a partition for /, but a /boot/efi partition in boot mode. So now I have 2 disks, sda and sdb, each of which have an EFI partition and a Neon system. Is this normal and correct?

Problem is, reFind only finds bootable partitions on sda. I can't find anything in the config file which resembles "Look on other volumes". I tried do a workaround by installing refind also on sdb, but now I can't figure out how to boot it.

What to do?

I'm running Plasma version 5.20.0 with Kernel version 5.4.0-48-generic.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I'll have to look, but I think Calamares should have an option similar to the old Ubiquity installer to use a specific drive for grub - which in EFI setups would use the efi folder on the specified drive.

Can someone confirm? My wifi sucks

Comment

Booting multiple OSs from multiple disks with UEFI
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/2313...isks-with-uefi

Reading that down through the comments, it doesn't look like you should be having any problem. I was not aware of any such problem booting multiple disks with/without rEFInd with/without multiple ESPs, and have done so.

I would read that link, which btw has response there from Rod Smith, the UEFI guru, and then check Rod Smith's website on rEFInd, and even email Rod about this (with/without a $10 contribution ;-) ). I have never used Neon, btw.

(On my way to an appointment at this very moment ...)

PS This should work with/without rEFInd, btw, making boot priority adjustments through the UEFI firmware or efibootmgr. I've done so with 3 ESPs on 2 disks, fwiw.
      Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 14, 2020, 08:51 AM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

An idea...

There's supposed to be just one ESP in a system; maybe rEFInd finds the first and doesn't look further.

The details aren't hidden with UEFI; they can be manipulated with ordinary tools. I suggest copying the Ubuntu directory from the 2nd ESP to the first; rEFInd might find it then.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

What is the output of

Code:
          sudo parted -l
          Code:
          sudo efibootmgr -v

Comment

Working...
          X