X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Bup has gone

Hello everybody,

Ubuntu 20.04 was released without bup. As far as I know, it has bee removed from all Debian-based repos (obviously beacause it is using Python 2), so using KDE Neon 5.19, the backup tool (kup) does not work anymore. Now, does anybody know, whether bup will return one day or do I need to change my backup utility again?

Appreciate any information.

I'd say change the backup, as Bup probably ain't coming back - last official release of this tool was 2017.
    Ubuntu themselves never packaged this "Universe" package, it was a straight import from Debian, so unless someone picks up developing Bup again....

Comment

Thanks for your comment. Guess you're right. Funny enough, however, that KDE sticks with KBackup, which is based on kup. Looks like they don't really have a strategy. Hard to imagine that they were surprised by the fact that bup wouldn't be available anymore.
      Guess I am going to try luckyBackup this time.

Comment

Originally posted by peerwal View Post
        Thanks for your comment. Guess you're right. Funny enough, however, that KDE sticks with KBackup, which is based on kup. Looks like they don't really have a strategy. Hard to imagine that they were surprised by the fact that bup wouldn't be available anymore.
        Guess I am going to try luckyBackup this time.
        Are you sure about that? Kbackup may slightly older (2010 vs 2011) at least in regards to Debian and Ubuntu inclusions.

Kbackup has no dependencies relating to bup.
        And kbackup us at least still being developed.

Sent from my LG V60 using Tapatalk as if this actually matters p:

Comment

Oops, you are right. For some reason I thought KBackup would be a standalone version of kup. However, I am curious to what what will happen to kup.

Comment

Just found out, that bup 0.3.1, which finally uses python 3, is currently under testing at Debian.

Comment

Working...
            X