This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qt 5.15 breaks stuff

Looks like some Qt 5.15 packages arrrived in some updates today. Which of course breaks the desktop.

be warned!

It should be safe, the updates may have been pulled.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I just did updates today and no login screen. Didn't see this in time. I can get to TTY screen. How to fix? Or, just wait for next round of updates? This PC is more of a test system than my day to day.
        Last edited by MoonRise; Sep 07, 2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Well, my KDE neon, which was dist-upgraded this morning, boots up just fine (just did a minute ago). System Information reports:

KDE neon 5.19 User Edition
          KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
          KDE Frameworks Version: 5.73.0
          Qt Version: 5.14.2
          Kernel Version: 5.4.0-45-generic
          OS Type: 64-bit

So is Qt 5.15 not in the User Edition? Is this specifically an issue with the Developer Edition?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
            Well, I just did updates today and no login screen. Didn't see this in time. I can get to TTY screen. How to fix? Or, just wait for next round of updates? This PC is more of a test system than my day to day.
            Not sure. I recovered from a backup

We weren't supposed to get 5.15 in user, and looks like an issue with /etc/apt/sources.list.d/neon.list for some installs
            https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...82a63c1a48d502

Check the file, edit it to replace 'release' with 'user' if needed, then downgrade qt to 5.14. Not sure the correct process for that one.

Not every install is having this problem. My PC never got the 5.15 Qt, even though I updated them at the same time.
            Last edited by claydoh; Sep 07, 2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Well, my KDE neon, which was dist-upgraded this morning, boots up just fine (just did a minute ago). System Information reports:

KDE neon 5.19 User Edition
              KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
              KDE Frameworks Version: 5.73.0
              Qt Version: 5.14.2
              Kernel Version: 5.4.0-45-generic
              OS Type: 64-bit

So is Qt 5.15 not in the User Edition? Is this specifically an issue with the Developer Edition?
              No, this was only on some User installs, the 5.15 was not supposed to be there. For some it seems the neon.list file for those of us with the problem had the repo set to the 'release' pocket somehow as opposed to the normal 'user'.
              For whatever reason, the 'release' pocket is for testing, not sure if it is for build testing or for general use testing.

Comment

I'm supposed to be on User. Really odd. If they removed the packages then not sure why mine is borked. I'll check the list file and see what mine has there.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                  I'm supposed to be on User. Really odd. If they removed the packages then not sure why mine is borked. I'll check the list file and see what mine has there.
                  So was I. I don't think the update was pulled, it seems we may have had the wrong repo set via installer or upgrade
                  I never looked at my repos before I recovered, and my backup was actually from my PC, which did not have the Qt package updates.

Comment

And that explains my case; I have 'user' in the repo list entry.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

May be how I originally installed. It was during testing phase and those must be set wrong now. I'm getting resolve errors on most of my package list on apt update.

I'll pull a new ISO down and reinstall. I think it would be best for me at the moment. Just need to figure how to save my files as this had no separate /home location.

They have released the new Ubuntu LTS base have they not?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        No, this was only on some User installs, the 5.15 was not supposed to be there. For some it seems the neon.list file for those of us with the problem had the repo set to the 'release' pocket somehow as opposed to the normal 'user'.
                        For whatever reason, the 'release' pocket is for testing, not sure if it is for build testing or for general use testing.
                        If you installed neon 20.04 from the pre-release ISOs during the testing phase, your neon.list file was set to the "release" repo. I noticed one machine was getting updates before all the others, and that was the release machine. I changed the repo to user a few days ago.

If you waited for the official upgrade to 20.04, you should be fine.

Comment

"If you installed neon 20.04 from the pre-release ISOs during the testing phase, your neon.list file was set to the "release" repo"

That would be my issue then. Just redid my USB Neon Drive to the latest user release. I'll reinstall from that.

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, I upgraded the laptop for testing, and my PC was upgraded when 'official'.
                            Last edited by claydoh; Sep 07, 2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

So, all seems fine now. Tried to do an install over what I had without formatting. Never tried that before and since test system thought, eh, why not! That didn't work so clean install.

It does definitely boots different so that testing image, even with updates, must have had issues I didn't know about. It's a happy test system now!

Comment

Working...
                              X