This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Firefox can't seem to interact with KDE

A few times now, Firefox has been refusing to open Dolphin when, for instance, clicking on a button to browse for files on any file upload form on a web page. I also have the same issue when right clicking a link, save link as. Absolutely nothing happens. It just silently fails to do anything. Just today I was viewing a pdf in Firefox and the print button would do nothing at all. I have it set to ask me where to save files when downloading, and when downloading a file, the save dialog doesn't come up. Again, just a silent fail. I have to open chromium to accomplish any of those tasks successfully. This issue seems random to me, as it just happens for a while, then starts working again at some random point.

I've made sure Dolphin is in first in the list in System Settings > Applications > File Associations > inode > directory, in the Application Preference Order (the only other app there is Gwenview). Dolphin was already at the top so I moved Gwenview to the top and applied, then moved Dolphin back to the top and applied just to make sure the setting was fresh. I did reboot after doing all that.

I also completely purged firefox and removed my entire ~/.mozilla directory, reinstalled firefox, and it still can't seem to interact with plasma in any way, to the point of having to forcefully kill firefox to get it to close if I even attempt to print a web page. chromium is still working, but I definitely don't want to be using chromium.

I am running KDE Neon from the KDE team (not really a distro perse, rather it's Kubuntu 18.04 LTS, but with the latest stable KDE release applied) and have the latest updates as of this post. I couldn't find much else that would specifically relate to my issue when searching for a solution, and have not received any responses from the KDE Neon forum.

I'm at a loss at this point. Any help or clues would be very appreciated.

Are you running the User edition, or one of the unstable versions?

the plasma-browser-integration, or is it the package makes Firefox use a Qt picker tool (not dolphin, though they look similar), so perhaps it is broken for you somehow.
    I cannot reproduce this.

Perhaps run firefox from a terminal, and look for errors when attempting to use a file picker.

You can disable the KDE integration for the time being by editing the script at /usr/bin/firefox, and commenting out the line with 'export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1'
    so it looks like this:
    Code:
    # export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
    So at least you should be able to use it with the native firefox dialogs for the time being.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful response. I do have an error message now.

After running Firefox from a terminal using
      Code:
      export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 && /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
      I get the following when trying to open a file chooser from a web page:
      Code:
      (firefox:26039):  Gtk-WARNING **: 23:34:29.732: Can't open portal file chooser:  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name  org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any .service  files
      Does that give any information on how this could be fixed?

Edit:
      I am running the current user edition.

Comment

Looks like you need to have have xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde installed. On my system xdg-desktop-portal-kde was already installed but xdg-desktop-portal was not.

Comment

Working...
        X