X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] PDF 1.7 fillable not fillable neon

Hi
    This is not an emergency I'm just looking for comments.

It so happens that I had to fill out a .pdf which had "fillable forms" that is PDF 1.7. This is a "linearized" also, apparently, "compressed" form. I was, after some time able to "fill out the form" in the online part of a website. However, before i got "there" I downloaded the form, and did not know how I could "resubmit" it except to take it to the workplace and hand in a paper form.

So that sent me on a "quest" and I discovered the whole thing about the 1.7 pdf form etc.

So to cut to the chase.

When I open it in Okular, Okular says that it has "forms", which, when clicked will normally show the "boxes" that are fillable.

This works with forms from the college etc. and I normally use Okular to do this and it has always worked well.

But, not with this form.

So, again to cut to the chase, I downloaded every single version of anything that would "deal" with a .pdf and they would all, in one way or another allow me to PLACE TEXT into a PLACE on the .pdf but, again, did not actually SHOW THE FILLABLE BOXES...

So, the question is this.

Does anyone happen to know if there is a "situation" with the .pdf 1.7 which is unique to not having the commercial adobe software to fill out the form?

AS AN ASIDE...this may actually be a situation with using NEON in that NEON does not provide the ability to interact with anything other than a "normal" .pdf ...

BTW I use Neon for my work machine because I assumed, and we know what that means ! , that it would have the latest and greatest but it might be that plain Kubuntu might be able to handle this.

Again, just asking for comments.

woodthanksaheadoftimesmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

from wikipedia:

PDF 1.7, the sixth edition of the PDF specification that became ISO 32000-1, includes some proprietary technologies defined only by Adobe, such as Adobe XML Forms Architecture (XFA) and JavaScript extension for Acrobat, which are referenced by ISO 32000-1 as normative and indispensable for the full implementation of the ISO 32000-1 specification. These proprietary technologies are not standardized and their specification is published only on Adobe’s website.[8][9][10][11][12] Many of them are also not supported by popular third-party implementations of PDF.
    pdf 2.0 has none of the proprietary stuff .

I have iirc had spotty luck with these old pdf forms in general, but the couple of XFA forms I have found on the web all work in Okular and in Chrome's viewer. Can't say much more without poking at the actual file in question.
    Using Neon is not likely any sort of issue at all here.
    Have you tried Libreoffice? It opens as an image, with different blocks where text can (sometimes) be edited.
    What about master pdf editor?
    https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/

Comment

Hi claydoh

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah it seems that this is one of these cases where a business is using "this" because they have ALWAYS used "this" and it just didn't work with anything. Even though the form says "fillable" they were not. I printed it off and took it to the manager filled out manually.

I do not know that this thread needs to be kept open if someone wants to close it that is ok,

Ill mark it solved.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X