X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Discover update button non-functional

Hi
    Just thought i'd check with others, apparently this is a somewhat intermittent "bug"

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=155987

Anyway, it started yesterday with two updates and today there are 167.

This is on Neon User Edition.

I can "see" the button but it does not actually seem to "be" there like maybe it has turned into part of the graphic of the update notifier box, also like the "graphic of the update box is transluscent and the button is somehow "behind" the graphic.

I have a screeny if anyone wants to see it.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I'm on Neon User but don't use Discover. i had already apt updated (1 only) today but ran Discover to see what it did - nothing. On start-up it said "updates available" which I could select but nothing further so closed it down.

Comment

Personally I quit using Discover and use Muon Package Manager for my updates. I have had zero problems since I swithed to Muon. Discover has a serious bug when it comes to updates.

Comment

Mine is like that also. Reinstalled and after bringing it up to date same thing. Reinstalled again, same thing. So will wait for it to be fixed.

Comment

I had to test this because I don't use Discover. It seems to work on Kubuntu 19.04 with Kernel 4.20.7 (bleeding edge system).
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I use Discover to keep my system up to date, and to install things from the KDE store, as well as a snap or flatpal here and there. So, I more or less use it most every day, with ero issue, and have for quite some time. (Neon)
            Now, Neon is more up to date, and for quite a spell Discover in Kubuntu was stuck at a crap version until KDE was able to fix things in Plasma 5.12.x

LTS status is not a mark of quality, just of support.

Muon used to be my favoritest thing ever. Nowadays I cannot stand it, with its always having to rebuild the Xapian index each time i run it (didn't used to, and does not need to) , and a broken search that stops working after the first time. It is slowly bit rotting.

Comment

On a stock 18.04 ... I like Muon, (except for that "rebuilding search index" thingy). However, I've been using Discover for updates--no problems (on my desktop or a laptop).
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi folks!

thanks for the replies! Others with comments, please post them.

TWP, yes, on my Neon Dev Stable the button works.

What is going on now.

I have updated with Synaptic ...That may provide a fix for the button.

i am now awaiting a notification of updates and maybe it will work because the fix was in the previous update.

I will comment again after that has been accomplished.

AND again, if others have comments, please so post!

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@claydoh, I'm not seeing that Xapian rebuild problem with Muon on Kubuntu 19.04. It was a problem when I ran Muon in Kubuntu 18.04. I think the devs have tamed Xapian, or thrown it out entirely (not sure on that).
                  Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                    I think the devs have tamed Xapian, or thrown it out entirely (not sure on that).
                    Either would be great!

But you could run
                    Code:
                    apt list --installed | grep -i xapian
                    and see what pops up.

On Kubuntu 18.04, I get:

Code:
                    apt-xapian-index/bionic,bionic,now 0.47ubuntu13 all [installed]
                    libkf5akonadisearchxapian5/bionic,now 4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                    libxapian30/bionic-updates,bionic-security,now 1.4.5-1ubuntu0.1 amd64 [installed]
                    python3-xapian/bionic,now 1.4.5-1ubuntu3 amd64 [installed]
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

This is what I get under Kubuntu 19.04:

Code:
                      apt list --installed | grep -i xapian

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

apt-xapian-index/disco,disco,now 0.47ubuntu13 all [installed,automatic]
                      libkf5akonadisearchxapian5/disco,now 4:18.04.3-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      libxapian30/disco,now 1.4.9-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                      python3-xapian/disco,now 1.4.9-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

Comment

Nice discussion folks!
                        As of this instant there are 149 updates listed in Discover and the last update did not fix the problem, the button is still "hidden" below the app.
                        This in a recent install of Neon User edition. It is functional in Neon Dev Stable.

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@Woodsmoke, FYI, my version of Discover is 5.14.90

Comment

TWP mine is 15.14.5

woody
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Woody, that could be why the update button works on my version... Not claiming that it is, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X