This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube Screen Tearing Solution?

I have been wondering what is the recommended way to stop tearing in playing videos on youtube in firefox with the latest kde neon and nvidia drivers?

I have come across various things related to the nvidia driver, putting in triple buffer setting, force full composting pipeline, or in the kde compositor force full screen repaint and opengl 3.1. What is the correct way to deal with this?

Not to be flippant, but the 'best way' is the one that works for your particular use case. The first thing I would be playing with is changing the compositor being used. One is likely to resolve the issue.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried various combinations and got rid of the screen tearing however now I get less smooth playback... Not sure what settings are bad or good. My system can run Doom 2016 in Ultra mode full HD, so Youtube should run like butter.

Comment

Is this *just* firefox? Or is there tearing in general? Stock Nvidia driver or proprietary?

You may have to look at Enabling OpenGL Off-Main-Thread Compositing (OMTC)

This Polish mozilla forum thread has some other FF tweak combinations to try if the first does not work
        https://support.mozilla.org/pl/questions/1232970

Comment

This is with Nvidia proprietary drivers. I only noticed it Firefox so far as that how I stream all my content. ie YouTube, Netflix... etc.

Comment

Working...
          X