Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No Laptop Screen When Unplug HDMI.

When I unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop that was connected to the TV it does not switch over the the laptop screen. When I look at the KDE display settings and the Nvidia settings I don't see the laptop screen mentioned. Not sure what to do.

ps. (Now that I think about it I setup the system with it connected to the tv and it just magically worked and never questioned it. It asked what I wanted to do with the screens and believe I clicked the mirror option even though the laptop screen is black while I use the tv which was fine by me.) Also I'm using the latest nvidia driver ppa with the current version 410.73

Laptop is Dell 7577 with nvidia 1060 gtx-maxq

what "latest nvidia driver ppa" ?

you could try removing/deleting the /home/<you>/.local/share/kscreen/ and log out and back in and go from their .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Perhaps switching to your laptop before you pull the HDMI cable, as a work-a-round?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I tried deleting the kscreen folder and logging out /rebooting no luck. Its weird is that when booting up and shutting down the Kde Neon logo is on the laptop.

Comment

try hitting the keyboard shortcut to swap outputs something like fn+F5 it usually has an icon of two overlapping squares with one partly shaded.
          with the hdmi connected look in system settings display and see if the the laptop screen off not detected or what maybe post a screen shot of that if you dont' have any idea what your looking at.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I hit the function key which did bring up the option to switch to the laptop screen. However when I clicked it nothing happened. I even tried rebooting and unplugging the hdmi cable to the tv.

I think what is most puzzling is that under the Nvidia display settings and the KDE display settings if I click detect displays it never mentions the laptop screen.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
              I think what is most puzzling is that under the Nvidia display settings and the KDE display settings if I click detect displays it never mentions the laptop screen.
              Its been a very very long time since i have used the Nvidia Driver but iirc you must do all your display management from that panel and not the systemsettings one.

Comment

You may have already tried this but all post it anyway.

Per what GreyGeek stated, as a work around switch the to the laptop screen as Primary but, and this is what I wanted to post, make sure it is enabled. Key thing. I've had that get me before.

Comment

The only display detected is 0 which looks like its the hdmi out/tv.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And what happens if you click on Detect Displays?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I click Detect Displays in the Nvidia driver panel nothing happens. Under the display selection there is "X screen 0" and "LG Electronics LG TV (HDMI-0)".

Under the KDE Display panel Primary display shows "no primary output" or "LG TV (HDMI-0)". Also Unify Outputs is greyed out.

Comment

I never did this before but under the Nvidia prime tab I switched from the Nvidia gpu to the Intel gpu.

It told me to reboot and it booted up to the laptop screen. Which is a slight victory. However it can only see the laptop screen and makes it run sub full HD resolution for some reason. It now can't see the tv/hdmi out and I can't launch the Nvidia driver panel any more to switch back. lol

Comment

I reinstalled KDE neon and it fixed everything and then it happened again... BUT I figured out what it is connected to and how to undo it.

When one installs the Nvidia drivers and has two screens connected. If you reboot or logout it messes up the DPI settings and the all the font sizes go ultra tiny. So I followed the same instructions about running nvidia-xconfig and then editing the /etc/x11/xorg.conf and adding a OPTION "DPI" "96x96" under the selection Monitor part which fixes it. But soon as you reboot the laptop screen goes black and the TV looks great. Hence why I never thought about it until I wanted to disconnect the laptop from the tv.

So I don't know how to solve the stupid dpi setting without borking one the laptop screen. (insert frustrated cursing) I can't see the kde interface because the font is so small.

Comment

system settings -> fonts -> force DPI. You might want to also edit /etc/sddm.conf to add an option to set the dpi to the needed value so your login screen is readable.

Comment

Sveet tickles! I recreated the nvidia xorg.config so I could see the KDE font settings. Forced that to 96x96 DPI. Then deleted the config. Both screens seem to work ok now.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was the loggin screen. The sddm.conf I didn't see the file but there was a folder called ssdm. Inside there was a Xsession file. I am not sure how to edit the dpi there.

So close I can taste it!

Comment

Working...
                              X