This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Printer fails to print after Bionic upgrade

Yes, I read the topic here on the forum about Bionic upgrades. So, I upgraded my secondary PC and all was well (I thought) and after a few days I set it up for my wife. Great! So, I upgraded my PC and ran into the nvidia video problem. That solved we went merrily on our way - until a few days later we tried to print.

Two desktop PCs previously printing correctly - recently upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04, both fail to print on P2P LAN. I removed the existing printer in System Settings and added it back in. In 'Select a Printer to Add' - under 'Discovered Network Printers - I selected my Canon MX920 series. Selecting it gives me three connection options. I chose the bjnp protocol used previously. The static assigned address and the port were properly identified and I selected them (bjnp://192.168.0.30:8611)

In 'Pick a Driver,' at the top was 'Recommended Drivers.' The only listed driver is Canon MX920 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13(en) which was the same driver used before the upgrade. I selected that driver by clicking Next and then clicking Finish in the last screen.

In System Settings, Configure your printers - I selected the Canon_MX920_series printer and clicked on Open Print Queue to observe printing behavior. In Maintenance I clicked on Print Test Page. The Print Queue registers the print job as 'Test Page.' The Status Message is 'Connected to 192.168.0.30...'

The Canon MX922 printer front panel lights up just like it always does when it receives a print job. Normally, the printer prints and then the front panel goes dark after a minute or so. But the front panel stays on 'forever' and the print queue retains the job with a "-" (dash) character in the Status column. I have removed and replaced the printer several times on both PCs and get the same result. Any suggestions?

-=Ken=-
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

H-e-e-e-e-e-e-y! This printing failure reminds me of my odyssey trying to get KDE Neon to print CD/DVD labels.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...VD-Media-Topic

So, I tried using the TurboPrint driver, which made the upgrade just fine, and guess what? It worked! I'll have to buy an extra license for my wife.

The Gutenprint CUPS driver for Canon inkjets is now completely broken.

I sure would like to hear from any other Canon printer owners...

-=Ken=-
    Last edited by kenj70; Oct 27, 2018, 06:46 PM.
    -=Ken=-

Comment

Fixed it!

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13809121

sudo rmdir /usr/share/ghostscript/9.25/iccprofiles
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgs9-common

I re-created the printer using the Connections 'IPP network printer via DNS-SD'
      Selected the CUPS+Gutenprint driver.

It worked for sheet paper but still NOT for CD/DVD media printing. Still need TurboPrint for that.

-=Ken=-
      -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
      X