Clear All

pkcon and konsole output

I ran `pkcon install software-properties-kde` and got this output:

Code:
    chimak@Neon$ pkcon install software-properties-kde
    Resolving                     [=========================]         
    Querying                      [=========================]         
    Testing changes               [=========================]         
    Finished                      [                         ] (0%)  
    The following packages have to be installed:
    apt-xapian-index-0.47ubuntu13.all      maintenance and search tools for a Xapian index of Debian packages
    libqapt3-3.0.4-0+18.04+bionic+build4.amd64     QApt library package
    libqapt3-runtime-3.0.4-0+18.04+bionic+build4.amd64     Runtime components for the QApt library
    libxapian30-1.4.5-1ubuntu0.1.amd64     Search engine library
    python3-debian-0.1.32.all      Python 3 modules to work with Debian-related data formats
    python3-xapian-1.4.5-1ubuntu3.amd64    Xapian search engine interface for Python3
    qapt-batch-3.0.4-0+18.04+bionic+build4.amd64   Batch package manager for KDE
    software-properties-kde-0.96.24.32.5.all       manage the repositories that you install software from (qt)
    Proceed with changes? [N/y]
    On pressing `N` or `n`, I get back the prompt, but improperly.

Code:
    chimak@Neon:~$ pkcon install software-properties-kde
    Resolving                     [=========================]         
    Querying                      [=========================]         
    Testing changes               [=========================]         
    Finished                      [=========================]         
    Fatal error: user declined simulationtalled:
    chimak@Neon:~$ dex-0.47ubuntu13.all      maintenance and search tools for a Xapian index of Debian packages
    libqapt3-3.0.4-0+18.04+bionic+build4.amd64     QApt library package
    libqapt3-runtime-3.0.4-0+18.04+bionic+build4.amd64     Runtime components for the QApt library
    libxapian30-1.4.5-1ubuntu0.1.amd64     Search engine library
    python3-debian-0.1.32.all      Python 3 modules to work with Debian-related data formats
    python3-xapian-1.4.5-1ubuntu3.amd64    Xapian search engine interface for Python3
    qapt-batch-3.0.4-0+18.04+bionic+build4.amd64   Batch package manager for KDE
    software-properties-kde-0.96.24.32.5.all       manage the repositories that you install software from (qt)
    Proceed with changes? [N/y] N

The transaction did not proceed.
    Notice the two lines immediately after "Finished"
    Code:
    Finished                      [=========================]         
    Fatal error: user declined simulationtalled:
    chimak@Neon:~$ dex-0.47ubuntu13.all      maintenance and search tools for a Xapian index of Debian packages
    Kubuntu 20.04

it is just garbled output, from having a too-small/large konsole window/font size/screen resolution, or something along those lines Possibly a Konsole issue, even. looks normal-ish on my end in Yakuake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180928_214552.png
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	643999

A small sooper-seekrit ultra 1337 tip:
    Just use apt.
    Neon does prefers the use of Discover, and pkcon for terminal use (if you must), but this is mainly directed at those who have little experience in the Ubuntu ecosphere.
    Just use apt.
    There is nothing gained or lost using one over the other.
    Just use.....whatever works best for you

If it is bothersome, one could go to freedesktop.org and file a bug on it, but I imagine they will toss it back to Ubuntu, who don't care so much as they support apt on the commandline, pkcon is just what Discover, Gnome Software, and others use under the skin, and (iirc) interfaces with apt (or whatever packaging system a distro is using) anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      it is just garbled output, from having a too-small/large konsole window/font size/screen resolution, or something along those lines Possibly a Konsole issue, even. looks normal-ish on my end in Yakuake.

A small sooper-seekrit ultra 1337 tip:
      Just use apt.
      Neon does prefers the use of Discover, and pkcon for terminal use (if you must), but this is mainly directed at those who have little experience in the Ubuntu ecosphere.
      Just use apt.
      There is nothing gained or lost using one over the other.
      Just use...whatever works best for you

If it is bothersome, one could go to freedesktop.org and file a bug on it, but I imagine they will toss it back to Ubuntu, who don't care so much as they support apt on the commandline, pkcon is just what Discover, Gnome Software, and others use under the skin, and (iirc) interfaces with apt (or whatever packaging system a distro is using) anyway.
      Thanks for looking into this, @claydoh!

My konsole screen was maximized at the time. I tried again with a font size of 8px instead of 12px. Same result. I haven't tried Yakuake. Same thing with Yakuake.

My reason for looking at pkcon was this:
      Some uses of apt do not install new packages which makes it less suitable for KDE neon.
      from the near bottom of the FAQ page.

But, I'm quite comfortable using apt from the CLI
      Last edited by chimak111; Sep 28, 2018, 09:52 PM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Many users were using the Debian way of using apt - apt upgrade is correct there. Ubuntu bases their packaging on apt full-upgrade (or formerly apt-get dist-upgrade), which does what it sounds like it does over on Debian.

Apt upgrade can leave packages behind in Ubuntu

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, I've been using apt-get dist-upgrade and now apt full-upgrade.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X