This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Plasma 5.12.90

About a week ago my desktop got upgraded to Plasma 5.12.90, and since then the following problems have occurred:

--Discover will not load
    --Desktop themes have disappeared
    --No Look and Feel entries under System Settings
    --Widget lists seem to have disappeared

Is this normal for a beta Plasma update? I had a rather big update today (118) including Plasma Discover, but nothing has changed. I am using Neon-dev-stable based on Kubuntu 16.04 and Linux kernel 4.15.0-22. This problem is mentioned on the Neon forums too but no one seems to know what to do. Does anyone here have any idea what's going on?

I have seen a report or 2 on this on KDEs forum. I have not looked at kde's bug tracker for this, which is usually where issues like this would be reported by -dev users. There may be problems with the recent move to Qt 5.10 (which is a rather major upgrade, and required for the upcoming plasma 5.13). The is sort of thing that happens when using pre-release software even if it is rare since it is always beta software.

The "stable" in "dev-stable" is in relation to which branch the code is pulled from, not really on how well it works. I have not looked at this since I'm on User, but it seems to be a packaging or dep issue. You may have to use the command line or other tool for updating until it is resolved.

You might grab a daily iso and boot it to see if it is working there. It may be worth a fresh install if you don't wish to wait for a fix if it is working there.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by claydoh; May 24, 2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

same hear @oldgeek ,,,,,,,exept the widget list , I still have mine (but dont care) .

it's not bothering me as 1-I do not use discover, 2-I'm using the desktop theme I like so don't mind being stuck with it till this gets resolved , 3-same as "2" , so no biggy hear .

A fix will happen sooner or later , and I can wate it out .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I did what Claydoh suggested. First, I tried the latest dev-stable version (18 May), and got the same results. Then I tried the latest dev-unstable version (20 May), and aha! that works. So apparently the problem has been fixed and we'll get an update down the pipes in short order, if I understand the process correctly. Actually, I don't use these things much either--I find it convenient to press a button and get the download process started, but usually I use the command line. My desktop background comes from photos of my trips abroad, and I don't need any new widgets. But when something doesn't work, I like to know why. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Part of the issue seems to be a Neon CI tooling bug/problem where kirigami2 builds have not been push to the stable repositories, resulting in those packages being stuck at a rather too old version of 5.43 instead of 5.46/77.

That is being looked at and will hopefully be resolved soon.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

The kirigami fix has been uploaded to the stable branch of Neon-dev and now the desktop is working fine, as is Discover. Just did the update.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
              The kirigami fix has been uploaded to the stable branch of Neon-dev and now the desktop is working fine, as is Discover. Just did the update.
              just got home from work and did updates ,,,,yes it's fixed @hear as well

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X