Discover not loading properly and seems to hang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover not loading properly and seems to hang

I did a fresh install of KDE Neon when 6.0 came out and everything seemed to work pretty well other than the major know issues. But even now, after a good amount of the major issues have been fixed, my discover seems to still be out of commission.

When clicking on discover or launching it via the "plasma-discover" command, they both seem to hang and do nothing. I can see the Discover processes in System Monitor with no CPU usage, but everytime I open Discover it creates a new one meaning I need to force close the application. I do get some output in the terminal, as shown below, but can't make heads or tails of it. Any help would be appreciated.

​plasma-discover output:
    libs QList("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt6/plugins", "/usr/bin")
    org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: OdrsReviewsBackend: Fetch ratings: true
    adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0x55ff96ce0b80)

​P.S. It then seems to just hang and never exits meaning I need to force close it with Ctrl-C

System Specs:
    Operating System: KDE neon 6.0
    KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.0
    KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
    Qt Version: 6.6.2
    Kernel Version: 6.5.0-21-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 24 × AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070/PCIe/SSE2
    Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
    Product Name: MS-7C84
    System Version: 1.0​

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?
    I have the same problem.
    No errors at all, it seems to be running, but no window.

Comment

Welcome.

Discover works for me in Plasma 6 (KDE neon - both fresh installation and upgraded from Plasma 5, Arch and openSUSE Tumbleweed -> all in X11 )…
      • Did you update to Plasma 6.0.2 and KDE Gear 24.02.1 ?
      • Did you try if this also occurs in a new user account?
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I've been using command line pkcon to update since discover stopped working.
        So I think I have plasma 6.0.2 and KDE Gear 24.02.1. But how would I double check?

And I just created a new user account, and the same thing with Discover occurs.

Comment

You could enter kinfo in Konsole.
          And in Konsole's -> "Hamburger menu" -> Help -> About Konsole you can see the KDE Gear version.

You could additionally test if it makes a difference whether you use a Wayland or X11 session (you can choose this in the lower left corner at the log in screen).
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 24, 2024, 06:48 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hi,

kinfo reports the following:
            Operating System: KDE neon 6.0
            KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.2
            KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
            Qt Version: 6.6.2
            Kernel Version: 6.5.0-26-generic (64-bit)
            Graphics Platform: X11
            Processors: 12 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-11400 @ 2.60GHz
            Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
            Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Konsole reports version 24.02.1

Same problem using Wayland.
            Although if I run plasma-discover from console, I get the following message: (which I did not get using X11)
            libEGL warning: egl: failed to create dri2 screen

But I noticed in Wayland, kinfo doesn't report NVIDIA gpu, so perhaps unrelated to the discover problem.

Comment

Update: The 6.0.3 update fixed my Discover problem!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X