Problems with skanlite, snap and d-bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Problems with skanlite, snap and d-bus

I wanted to install skanlite on my computer, Looking how to do so, I fell on a method using snap. (I do not like snap.) From then on, only problems.

$ sudo snap install skanlite
    2024-02-06T11:56:05+01:00 INFO cannot update "cups", will not have required content "foo": snap has no updates available
    skanlite 23.08.4 from KDE✓ installed​
    But then I could not start it from the application launcher. By hand,

$ skanlite
    dbus[9809]: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up: see the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue. (Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory; Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or directory)
    D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
    Aborted​
    I then tried to install it directly with apt, which seemed to work. Did I now have two copies installed? Anyway, starting it by the command line gave the same d-bus error message, which means nothing to me. So I removed it with apt, which seemed to work. Same d-bus error I tried to remove it with snap and got the message "skanlite removed". I removed it again with apt, and now I get:
    $ skanlite
    bash: /snap/bin/skanlite: No such file or directory​
    And still

$ dpkg -l skanlite
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-==============-==========================================-============-========================================
    ii skanlite 23.08.4-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build27 amd64 image scanner based on the KSane backend

I realize I have done too many things without proper correlation. But how do I fix this mess? Dpkg still thinks it is installed but the CL gives me a message from snap.

Why in the world is this thing availbable in snap and apt? I really do not like snap.

I hope this makes sense, but I'm not sure of it.

Running kde neon 5.27, kernel 6.5.0-15-generic (64-bit).
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Maybe this is useful:

$ snap list
    Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
    bare 1.0 5 latest/stable canonical base
    chromium 121.0.6167.139 2742 latest/stable canonical -
    core20 20231123 2105 latest/stable canonical base
    core22 20231123 1033 latest/stable canonical base
    cups 2.4.7-3 1024 latest/stable openprinting -
    gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.efb213a 143 latest/stable canonical -
    gnome-42-2204 0+git.ff35a85 141 latest/stable canonical -
    gtk-common-themes 0.1-81-g442e511 1535 latest/stable canonical -
    kf5-5-110-qt-5-15-11-core22 5.110 3 latest/stable kde -
    snapd 2.61.1 20671 latest/stable canonical snapd
    No skanlite in there.

'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Did you sudo snap remove --purge skanlite?
      Without --purge snapd caches the removed Snap somehow (I don't know enough about the exact process to determine if this could have led to your situation, but I think it is a possibility).

PS: FWIW Skanlite (installed with apt) works without any problems here both in Kubuntu 22.04 and TUXEDO OS (similar to KDE neon).
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 06, 2024, 10:14 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
        Did I now have two copies installed?
        yes, apt packages (debs) and snaps or flatpaks are completely separate application binaries/etc

The snap works fine for me here, no d-bus errors, though the first review I see for skanlite in Discover is that error. lol

Originally posted by joneall View Post
        Code:
        $ skanlite
        bash: /snap/bin/skanlite: No such file or directory​
        Try rebooting, or using the menu icon to launch it. For some reason bash is looking in /snap/bin/foo before other locations in the hierarchy, or there is some caching going on?
        Code:
        ~$ echo $PATH
        /home/mee3ee/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/home/mee3ee/.
        local/bin:/home/mee3ee/stl/prefix
        Snap is nearly at the end , and would be looked at almost last here. I do see this, but rebooted after a kernel update on this machine, and all was fine after.
        There probably is a way to force a refresh of this, but the reboot time was less than it would take to find the answer.

...../Which should have been obvious to me, once I did look: open a new terminal window instead of using the open one (which starts with a new empty "memory"), or using the command hash -r to clear this manually.

So....much as we will all jump on and blame Snap, it isn't a Snap issue here at all, in this case, just normal bash shell stuff.
        The d-bus one, I dunno, since I don't see it, on two different machines, and I need to climb out of the rabbit hole and go back to working hehe
        Last edited by claydoh; Feb 06, 2024, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Opening a new window and entering skanlite on the CL worked. After that, it also works from the launcher.

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X