Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Firefox DEB on Ubuntu 22.04

Install Firefox as a DEB App on Ubuntu 22.04: The Proper Way

This guide shows you how to install Firefox as a classical DEB application on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS from Mozilla's official repository.
    Has anyone tried this with Neon or Kubuntu? It's from the new official Mozilla repo!

https://linuxiac.com/install-firefox...ntu-22-04-lts/

Constant change is here to stay!

Ya, I did, but I think it is identical to their Mozilla PPA (though with slightly differing package naming), so that is good, unless you want to use Thunderbird as well. Then, the PPA makes a bit more sense until Mozilla offer it in their own repository alongside FF. I assume this will happen eventually.
    You probably want to remove/disable the Apt pins used for the PPA, though, if you want to try this on neon, or if you have already de-snapped Kubuntu. Not sure if there would be any collisions between the two sources.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 25, 2024, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post

Has anyone tried this with Neon or Kubuntu? It's from the new official Mozilla repo!

https://linuxiac.com/install-firefox...ntu-22-04-lts/

That the page I used and it worked fine for me here. I have firefox 122 installed and working well. No snap.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

It should be exactly the same as (with) the Firefox version you can download from Mozilla.org as .tar and manually install to /opt - just a different form of distribution and a different way to update it (a bit more user-friendly, I suppose).
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          It should be exactly the same as (with) the Firefox version you can download from Mozilla.org as .tar and manually install to /opt - just a different form of distribution and a different way to update it (a bit more user-friendly, I suppose).
          From a very quick glance, it seems to be the same as their PPA deb, which also means they they have had a decent amount of practice with the packaging

Also, from an equally brief peek, I am thinking that the deb and the standalone archive may even be the exact same binaries, with the deb having the helper script in /usr/bin that points things to where the actual executable are, in /usr/lib, etc.
          So:
          Code:
          $ du -sh ~/Downloads/firefox
          236M /home/claydoh/Downloads/firefox
          $ du -sh /usr/lib/firefox/
          236M /usr/lib/firefox/
          There is a slight difference in size when you go down to Kb

Comment

My experience with the Mozilla team PPA was that it was too slow, and not efficient in that every update was a ~80 MB download. After a 20 minute update stopped me going home one day, I switched to the tarball, installing to /opt, and firefox updates itself much more quickly, typically seconds, with a ~8 MB download. Surely the new PPA to be better; can anyone report the speed?
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Testing on two different machines, and I cannot tell the difference. Again, I believe that the build and packaging is pretty much identical between the two sources.

As to the speed of the repo, only time will tell. I think I have seen one update since I added it, but other regular updates came as well, and there didn't seem to be any difference in download speed from the others. Of course I don't live in a relatively remote part of the planet, and may not notice vast differences in speeds.

The new Mozilla source is not a PPA, it is Mozilla's own apt repo, and actually is compatible with Debian, which of course is good news for those users.

Mozilla do "own" and operate their Ubuntu PPA. However, the PPA sever (s?) do seem to become slow sometimes when some of the large and active project repos are churning out new packages, and there doesn't seem to be any sort of mirror network like Ubuntu proper have. I am almost positive that the PPA servers do both building and hosting duties, which does explain the slow download speeds at times.

Having their own apt repo probably will be faster in general, due to the small number of items, and I imagine their will be load sharing mirrors worldwide.
              Last edited by claydoh; Jan 27, 2024, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X