• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE: Snaps move, KDE neon unstable broken OMG! Fixed, and Debian updates

For those running KDE neon Unstable

KDE: Snaps move, KDE neon unstable broken OMG! Fixed, and Debian updates

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I'm running Debian Bookworm and there was a big update a few days ago.
    $ neofetch
    jerry@GreyGeek
    --------------
    Host: HP Laptop 17-cn1xxx
    Kernel: 6.4.0-0.deb12.2-amd64
    Uptime: 4 hours, 45 mins
    Packages: 4185 (dpkg)
    Shell: bash 5.2.15
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    DE: Plasma 5.27.5
    KWin
    [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
    [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
    Terminal: konsole
    CPU: 11th Gen Intel i5-1155G7 (8) @ 4.500GHz
    GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
    Memory: 2713MiB / 15661MiB

The kernel I upgraded to myself because it includes the kernel driver for the 88x2BU wifi chip, which previously required that I use DKMS and source from GetHub.

After running Wayland for several weeks I ran into too many issues. The DE would "blink" because Wayland would crash and then instantly reload. I was also having problems with some graphics that wanted xserver, and xwayland just didn't help. So, I switched back to Xserver. It may be no longer supported and dead, but at least it runs every graphic app I use. And, my bootup time to a usable DE GUI dropped from 12 secs to 10 secs

jerry@GreyGeek:~$

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If Snaps become part of KDE Neon I'll have to look for another distro or, if worse comes to worse, install Windows on my machine! Or even worse, sell it and buy a Mac!

Are developers actively trying to push people away from Linux with these awful Snaps and Flatpak apps?
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        If Snaps become part of KDE Neon I'll have to look for another distro or, if worse comes to worse, install Windows on my machine! Or even worse, sell it and buy a Mac!

Are developers actively trying to push people away from Linux with these awful Snaps and Flatpak apps?
        a little dramatic

A LOT of people actually like and prefer flatpaks, though they hate snap (mostly for political reasons)
        Fedora is very flatpak-heavy, but only include their own small repo ootb
        People over there are happy as far as I can tell.

I ran Kubuntu 23.10 in pre-release on my chromebook for a whole week before I realized I hadn't replaced Firefox.

That article has nothing to do with snaps being a part of neon whatsoever.
        It just happens that a dev works on building KDE Snaps as well as working on neon builds/packaging (namely the unstable version, in the blog post --Plasma 6 stuff) and Debian packaging.

The sky is not falling. But the long term future will be this sort of thing, among other ideas you probably will hate, And some I might, too.
        Last edited by claydoh; Oct 13, 2023, 05:57 PM.

Comment

The sky hasn't fallen ... but the dust is raining down. :/
          The direction SABDFL​ is pushing Ubuntu, and Kubuntu won't switch to another base, I decided several months ago to test other distros. I settled on Debian and running the Plasma desktop 5.27.5 on Debian bookworm is indistinguishable from Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, which was the last version I used.
          Apt and apt-get work the same and so does muon. I didn't remove discover and use it for somethings because there are some settings and apps that can be accessed through discover but not by muon.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 18, 2023, 06:36 PM. Reason: typos, grammatical errors, general stupidity
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm looking at Debian 12 KDE on my ancient test ThinkPad., it runs very well from USB stick. The Beelink Mini I bought not too long ago is still running Linux Mint Cinnamon. I'm wondering what will happen when Neon rebase on next year's LTS release, it looks like it will be a Snap bonanza!

Perish the thought...

Comment

I think I'll also take a peek at the KDE version of MX Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                The sky hasn't fallen ... but the dust is raining down. :/
                The direction SABDFL​ is pushing Ubuntu, and Kubuntu won't switch to another base, I decided several months ago to test other distros. I settled on Debian and running the Plasma desktop 5.27.5 on Debian bookworm is indistinguishable from Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, which was the last version I used.
                Apt and apt-get work the same and so does muon. I didn't remove discover and use it for somethings because there are some settings and apps that can be accessed through discover but not by muon.
                I was also using Plasma on Debian 12 but being stuck on 5.27.5 and not receiving all the bug fixes from the subsequent point releases doesn’t work for me. Wayland was problematic but much better since 5.27.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                  I think I'll also take a peek at the KDE version of MX Linux...
                  If you are looking for distributions with KDE Plasma that are based on a pre-configured Debian : SpiralLinux Plasma (https://spirallinux.github.io/) is a really good (I think: even better) alternative to MX Linux KDE, IMHO.
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                  X