This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] virtual machine memory allocation

This is a simnple question, I hope. How much memory can I allocate to guest os in QEMU VMM (or Oracle's, for that matter) without affecting the running of my computer? I have 6 GiB of memory, and have allocated 2.4 to Kubuntu 18.04, but it still seems a little slow. How much more can I add?

What about CPU? What do you have there? Unless you've got awesome specs, I'd guess some slowness is expected.

There are also other settings to play with in qemu/kvm which may improve performance. The output of
    Code:
    virsh dumpxml *your_VM_name*
    may get you some advice from qemu/kvm experts (which I am not).

My Kubuntu 18.04 in VBox is quite decent with 4GB RAM and 1 CPU out of 4 with an i3 processor, integrated graphics. Not blazing fast, but decent.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

If the Host PC has multiple CPU Cores, then you can increase the number of VM CPU's to at least 2 and you'll see better performance in the VM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Chimak, I have an i3 processor as well and I expanded the VM memory to 4 GiB. It seems to work OK. I don't expect a blazing fast performance, I just want to test Kubuntu 18.04 as I'm using Neon (with Kubuntu 16.04, not Ubuntu) at the moment and want to decide what to do when upgrade time comes around. Although to be honest, my current hybrid setup has given me almost no problems and I wonder if I should fix something that's not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          If the Host PC has multiple CPU Cores, then you can increase the number of VM CPU's to at least 2 and you'll see better performance in the VM.
          Thank you

I moved up to two CPUs and things are definitely better!
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X