This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] New trouble accessing USB storage on router

On two occasions, November 2014 & January 2018, this forum has helped me out with accessing a USB drive attached to an Asus RT-N66U router configured as an access point on my LAN. A closing comment on the recent discussion ( https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...n-Router/page2 ) mentioned a newer OS for my router.
    I updated my router and it works fine in Windows 10. From Windows I can open the drive on the network and map as a network drive and load and save files directly to and from it. I had been able to do the same in KDE Neon after help from this forum and before the updating of my router OS. However, now in KDE Neon when I try to mount the network share in Konqueror I get:
    rob@rob-Asus-Neon-Feb2018:~$ sudo mount /media/LAN_WD
    [sudo] password for rob:
    mount error(112): Host is down
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

My fstab entry reads:
    Code:
    //rt-n66u-8060/Storage  /media/LAN_WD   cifs    auto,username=username,password=password,users,vers=2.0
    It did read “vers=1.0”, but the router update says “Updated Samba version (3.6), with SMB2.0 support”. I changed it to “vers=2.0” as I understood the mount.cifs(8) manual page to instruct. (I have tried with "vers=1.0" & no "vers=" entry.

I can access files on the USB drive via Dolphin > Network, but I cannot mount the drive, so I cannot directly access from applications and Scribus will not save back to it. The document has to be saved locally and then moved via Dolphin.

Any help with this would again be appreciated.
    Last edited by okie2003; Mar 06, 2018, 12:54 PM. Reason: Enclosed CODE tags to fix errant space
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

was that space in "users" a typo "use rs" ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
      ... I can access files on the USB drive via Dolphin > Network...
      If dolphin can access it, it is causing it to be mounted successfully, as a user mount.

I suggest using dolphin to access the drive, then running "mount" just on its own in a konsole, to see how it is mounted. You might find out why the fstab entry doesn't work.

In theory rather than using fstab you could set up a user mount the same way dolphin does. Look in system settings, removable storage, removable devices.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Vinny, Good eye. I checked my fstab and it is correct. I apparently introduced the space when I put it in the post.

jlittle, sorry for not being clear. Dolphin shows the drive as unmounted and cannot directly access it, giving the error "An error occurred while accessing 'Storage on rt-n66u-8060', the system responded: mount error(22): Invalid argument Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)". BUT it can access it via Network > Samba Shares > Workgroup > rt-n66u

An aside: Tried to edit first post to correct "use rs" and on the edit panel there was no space. I deleted the whole word and retyped it and it still has a space. Oh well, the fstab does not have the space.
        Last edited by okie2003; Mar 02, 2018, 10:16 AM.
        "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

I took "users" out of fstab and now I get this error message in Dolphin when I try to access the drive: "An error occurred while accessing 'Storage on rt-n66u-8060', the system responded: mount: only root can mount //rt-n66u-8060/Storage on /media/LAN_WD"

It still will not mount in konqueror:
          $ sudo mount /media/LAN_WD
          [sudo] password for rob:
          mount error(112): Host is down
          Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
          Last edited by okie2003; Mar 02, 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I was looking at router settings and noticed that "Simpler share naming (without the disk name)" was disabled. Enabled it and BINGO! Share will now mount in konsole with "sudo mount /media/LAN_WD".

For anyone looking in the future, my fstab entry is:
            //rt-n66u-8060/Storage /media/LAN_WD cifs auto,username=username,password=password,vers=2.0

I know it is best not to have username and password listed in fstab entry, but reference a credentials file, but I have not figured that out yet.

Comment

VERY old, but might shed some useful light: https://anothersysadmin.wordpress.co...edential-file/
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog. I will take a look at it. If I get something figured out I will post here.

Comment

Working...
                X