This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] post-update crash

After doing the 116 updates today (including the new Linux kernel) I rebooted my computer. Everything went well until I got past the login screen. The Plasma symbol glashes on and stays there for minutes and minutes without going away. Plasma seems hung up on something, but I have no idea what. I'm using Neon dev. ed. with a Kubuntu core, which has given me no problems and up to now has been very stable. I'd hate to have to re-install everything--or to continue using Windows 10, which is what I have to do now. Any suggestions?

Can you get to a tty console?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not sure what you mean. If I boot using recovery mode, I eventually get to a text login screen (non-graphic) which then leads me to a prompt. Is that a tty console? I used that to update again, hoping that some fix was in the pipeline, and also used it to reboot in graphic mode (typing reboot) but it still hangs up when Plasma is loading.

Comment

neon dev editions are at this moment migrating to Qt 5.10, which is temporarily breaking things. You will have to try updating from the command line, and you can get to a tty by using ctrl-alt-f1 after logging in, or at the login screen. If there are still packages propagating to the servers it could take some time, so it may take a few tries to get everything. Note and report any error messages you see , which can help us see what is going specifically.

Comment

A massive update yesterday caused the same thing on my box. I hit the power button and rebooted. It came up normally.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That sounds logical enough. I'll do what you recommended. I guess the user edition of Neon would have been more appropriate for me.

Comment

Hello, I had the same surprise yesterday and had to install fluxbox to have at least some user interface.
              SDDM was a little picky but finally let me choose the fluxbox session.
              This morning, however, after a small set of updates, I cannot even have that fluxbox session - after entering my password in SDDM it "freezes"; I can switch to the text console (CTRL+ALT+F2) but when switching back I can only see the graphical cursor moving normally.
              Is there some kind of command line to try and reload the plasma session? Or maybe there is a specific set of repositories up to date?
              I'm kind of stuck here and out of ideas ...
              Any help is more than welcome!

Comment

Humm, mystery solved: .Xauthority file had root ownership and was preventing a proper initialization.
                The solution was to remove that file and everything is fine again. Phew ...

Comment

Today's updates solved my problem. I had to use Windows yesterday, but it was way out of date so I had to do all the security updates. It took me almost 5 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                    Today's updates solved my problem. I had to use Windows yesterday, but it was way out of date so I had to do all the security updates. It took me almost 5 hours!
                    THAT was the straw that broke my Windows (camel's) back. The last update on my Windows 7 dual boot had over 100,000 fixes and took hours and I don't know how many reboots. For the few years previous to that I had Windows on dual boot mode for "emergencies" but those never occurred and I was booting to it only to do updates. That's when I decided to give Kubuntu the ENTIRE HD. Got a gift of 100+Mb of HD for that decision.
                    Never looked back, never needed to. The ONLY Win app I needed ran perfectly well under WINE. And, after this last week I may not need that any more either, so WINE may be on the chopping block.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm planning to ditch Windows 10 when I decide what to do when 18.04 comes out. I have a 500 Gib HD and Windows takes up over half of it. The only time I've used Windows recently was when Plasma wouldn't load. And that was just to update everything, as well as write about my problem to this forum.

Comment

The only time I've used Windows recently was when Plasma wouldn't load. And that was just to update everything, as well as write about my problem to this forum.
                        ... and for that, oldgeek, you could use your live Kubuntu DVD or flash drive -- or any Linux live CD/DVD/USB, right?
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

[QUOTE=Qqmike;411179]... and for that, oldgeek, you could use your live Kubuntu DVD or flash drive -- or any Linux live CD/DVD/USB, right? [/QUOTE

Yes, except that I also have Lubuntu on a netbook, and apart from being really slow (the netbook, not Lubuntu) it does serve when something goes wrong with my tried and true Neon/Kubuntu 16.04 configuration.

Comment

I also have Lubuntu on a netbook, and apart from being really slow (the netbook, not Lubuntu) it does serve when something goes wrong with my tried and true Neon/Kubuntu 16.04 configuration.
                            Ah, nice to have the luxury of that kind of back-up capability!
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                            X