Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAQ needs update

The Neon FAQs say:

Can I turn Kubuntu into KDE neon with a PPA?

We recommend that you install a fresh KDE neon from the provided ISO images. But you can indeed add an APT repository to switch from Kubuntu to KDE neon. This is absolutely not tested or supported. If things take a turn for the worse you are expected to be knowledgable enough to repair your system on your own. A web search should quickly give you relevant information on how to do this.
    ​--
    But this is no longer accurate. Searching the web results in several conflicting & outdated PPA references. None of PPAs that I found reference to, were still functional. This should link to a functioning PPA, if one exists.

KFN isn't the place to opine on this; we aren't the developers/maintainers of KDE neon. You would be better served by creating an account on https://discuss.kde.org/tag/neon and providing your feedback there.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by LanceHaverkamp View Post
      But this is no longer accurate. Searching the web results in several conflicting & outdated PPA references. None of PPAs that I found reference to, were still functional. This should link to a functioning PPA, if one exists.

Converting from Kubuntu to KDE neon has never been supported, as there is always a risk of package conflicts due to variations between the contents of the packages, naming and versioning schemes. It *might* work, for some, once in a while. But it very likely WILL take some serious apt-foo to fix and force things to work. And there ARE folks out there who have tried this, and reported how they did so out there somewhere.......(such as here lol)

Neon does not use PPAs, outside of the Mozilla one for the non-Snap firefox. They have their own separate apt repositories for their Plasma packaging.

I am going to guess you are finding ancient info about something else.
      ​Waaaayyyyyy back in the day, there was a side project from the main Kubuntu devs at the time. It was called Project Neon that was a nascent idea (and a PPA of sorts) that eventually became or inspired them to create KDE neon after they left Kubuntu.
      I imagine you are coming across some references to this, which went away sometime around 2015.
      Last edited by claydoh; Aug 13, 2023, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        opine on this; we aren't the developers/maintainers of KDE neon
        Originally posted by LanceHaverkamp View Post
        The Neon FAQs say:
        Just to be clear, our neon FAQ sticky post is the one used on KDE neon's website. Haven't checked to see what changes the official one has that needs editing on our side.
        Last edited by claydoh; Aug 14, 2023, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I'm having a case of Deja Vu...

Comment

Snowhog, thanks for the link to discuss.kde.org/tag/neon.
            Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Just to be clear, our FAQ is the one used on KDE neon's website.
              Do we (KFN) actually have a FAQ? If we do, I don't know where it is. We do have the default HELP link in the Footer Tab Bar, but that's vBulletins.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Do we (KFN) actually have a FAQ? If we do, I don't know where it is. We do have the default HELP link in the Footer Tab Bar, but that's vBulletins.
                Actually, our Neon section's FAQ sticky post is what I was referring to.

Comment

• Snowhog
                  Snowhog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Doh! I've updated that sticky post and added a Disclaimer.

• claydoh
                  claydoh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was going to just update it with the current text, but decided not to, or forgot to do so.
                  (I don't agree with their preference for Pkcon on the command line, though I understand it. Leaving that out would not be proper, though. So I forgot about it lol)

• Snowhog
                  Snowhog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I originally created that Thread, I didn't want to just provide the URL. The text is verbatim (of course), as it isn't ours. Hopefully the added Disclaimer will be sufficient to prevent confusion; hopefully!
              Working...
              X