System crashed during update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System crashed during update

So, I was running a bunch of updates in Discover while reading the news on another desktop in Firefox and suddenly the system crashed!

The PC was still running but there was no video signal.

I left it for a little then did a hard shutown and reboot but all I got was a minimal GRUB., which is meaningless to me.

Everything seems so fragile these days! If I have to reinstall everything again I may go with Mint!
    Constant change is here to stay!

Perhaps enable "Use offline updates" (-> System Settings -> System Administration -> Software Update) in the future…

You will probably have to repair the system from a live USB stick (e.g. with the "rescue mode" of the Debian "DVD-1" ISO or the "chroot" tool of the new MX Linux 23 KDE ISO).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Aug 01, 2023, 05:48 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Perhaps enable "Use offline updates" (-> System Settings -> System Administration -> Software Update) in the future…

You will probably have to repair the system from a live USB stick (e.g. with the "rescue system" of the Debian "DVD-1" ISO or the "chroot" tool of the new MX Linux 23 KDE ISO).
      I don't like offline updates, it reminds me too much of Windows! Next time I'll do it from the Terminal!

I think I've narrowed it down to a Nvidia driver kernel update! I think it's the second time it's happened to me! I wish I could sell this darn Nvidia card and replace it with an AMD card but I've spent too much dosh already recently and the boss ain't happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        […]
        If I have to reinstall everything again I may go with Mint!
        If your crash had nothing to do with either Plasma or a Snap, I think it would probably also have happened in any other *Ubuntu-based distribution like Mint.
        Although I consider Xfce and Cinnamon the best two GTK-based DEs, IMHO Plasma is by far the superior DE - especially compared to Cinnamon
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Aug 01, 2023, 07:02 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post

I don't like offline updates, it reminds me too much of Windows! Next time I'll do it from the Terminal!
          Doing it from the terminal is not going to change anything unless you shutdown your desktop, unload and purge all the drivers and install each update manually, at which point its going to take you more time than simply doing it the recommended way.

"Offline updates" is the recommended way to update your PC, especially when it is doing core components like kernels, graphics drivers, and so on. Do updates online for user apps only.

Don't blame Nvidia. There is nothing wrong with their drivers when installed, updated, and used correctly.

Comment

I'll rip out the Nvidia card as soon as the AMD card I'll order tomorrow arrives! I won't have much time to play with it though as I've off to Thailand for a couple off weeks soon!

Comment

Working...
            X