how clean out files from running TestDisk using live USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how clean out files from running TestDisk using live USB

My system got overwhelmed by newly generated files. I want to take it back.
    The main task now, I think, is erasing extra files.

For the first time I used TestDisk and PhotoRec.
    They are prone to generating lots of files.
    Meanwhile, I had no success yet recovering files that I lost.

Most recently, I ran TestDisk and it generated enough disk files to jam the system and paralyze the system.
    I attempted to use a live USB to mount the paralyzed system to delete the excess files.
    Neon objected that cd could not be used as a built in command into the system, and I don't know a workaround.
    I could really use a workaround to change directories and remove files.

I got into this pickle when I backed up my files using dolphin on a non booting system but did not verify the copy.
    It had multiple skipped files even when the directory name was copied, but without the contents.
    The error was made silently if I remember correctly.
    I discovered the omissions after overwriting, without formatting, the previous system's disk.

I checked one (of two) cloud backups but it was not up to date. I suspect then other will not be better.
    My WD Passport hard disk portable backup I had made is a year old.
    I may be able to recover some of what I lost from content shared on emails.
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Sorry, but I am really feeling the urge to stop you at this point (this is meant well and without knowing you personally)…

Wise words from an Arch article about file recovery:
    […] If you have accidentally deleted or otherwise damaged your valuable and irreplaceable data and have no previous experience with data recovery, turn off your computer immediately (Just press and hold the off button or pull the plug; do not use the system shutdown function) and seek professional help.
    Warning: It is quite possible and even probable that, if you follow any of the steps described below without fully understanding them, you will worsen your situation.​ […]
    And this is what seems to have already happened…

Nobody in a forum can see or apprehend everything what you are (or have been!) doing or every output/message of the things you do (or have done!).
    You will probably make things even worse than they already seem to be right now, if you try some isolated steps that somebody far away in a forum told you to do at this point.
    Somebody should do this physically in front of your computer - and if you are no IT professional yourself, seek professional help if you can afford it.
    Otherwise install a new, clean system (your system is also broken IIRC) and get the personal data you can from the backups from e.g. one of the "cloud" backups - and live with the loss.

In the future do frequent (best incremental, to keep the backup pool size small) backups, not only to a "cloud" but also to e.g. a local external drive (everybody who frequently has to do with a computer has to learn/realize this sooner or later, mostly after a data loss).
    There are tools to automate this task for user data, e.g. Back In Time and several others.

Sorry again for these "unpleasant" thoughts.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 06:33 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hello, Schwarzer Kater--and all.

Thanks for your concern and past help.
      Also for your focus on realism.
      We have similar thoughts, and I wish we could physically be present to each other.

You know I have backed off when I felt my experience level was insufficient.
      But I also push the envelope, while aiming to be thoroughly prepared where there is risk.

I started out with FORTRAN on punch cards at UC Berkeley in the 1960s on a CDC machine and got time on a small IBM machine on campus.​
      I do have an IT past as a User Services consultant from the era of the IBM mainframe, mainly with statistical packages as well as now old languages.
      I went through the transition to minicomputers and microcomputers and put together my own hardware from parts.
      I lack a computer science and up to date Linux and programming experience except what I pick up from contacts and articles.

You should know I had already sought help from people with greater expertise both in Linux and data recovery here and will incorporate that help soon.
      I should receive a SSD replacement tomorrow as my working system is important.
      I am not sure anything can be saved from key missing documents that are now incomplete on the old SSD.
      As far as I know, there is nothing that is irreplaceable with effort. I may consider professional help to recover some items from the old SSD.

As of now my backup setup is inadequate and needs improvement. I use Clonezilla intermittently (no schedule), worked with two cloud firms, neither adequately as i was stingy, and make copies of important documents and photos from time to time on a backup drive. I will switch to a professional photo storage, etc. service.

Back In Time seems very interesting. I would be interested in what GreyGeek and others of you think of it and alternatives. Are any of you using it?
      Do any issues come up from it being a Gnome and Ubuntu product as Neon gets more defined?

Thanks again for your help.

I am interested in a workaround for the cd issue when mounting the old file system from a live USB ISO.

Comment

I actually got a solution to the cd issue.

Comment

Thanks for telling us about yourself.

Back In Time has a Qt5 GUI (and a CLI tool), is written in Python and uses rsync.
          It has nothing to do with GNOME (or Ubuntu/Canonical).​
          I have used it for some years now to automatically backup user data, both for myself and for others (private and professional settings).
          Here is their GitHub site (with the instructions how to use the *Ubuntu PPA): https://github.com/bit-team/backintime

Alternatives are e.g.
          Kup (the "official" KDE backup tool - accessible through the Plasma System Settings - I think claydoh could tell you more about it),
          Déjà Dup / Dublicity (uses GTK, not Qt - and is often included in GNOME desktop environments, probably due to the limited GUI settings… ) or
          CLI programs like BorgBackup or rsync.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 05:34 PM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by pwrcul View Post
            Do any issues come up from it being a Gnome and Ubuntu product as Neon gets more defined?
            That won't be an issue. The desktop environment won't make a difference, other than its appearance.
            It is not an Ubuntu product, but a formerly independent one. It actually is now maintained by Linux Mint.
            I use it for system snapshots, as I use BTRFS for my file system. I have not used it in it's normal use case as you would, but it generally gets good reviews and has a good reputation as an application.
            I would recommend it, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              […]
              It is not an Ubuntu product, but a formerly independent one. It actually is now maintained by Linux Mint.
              I use it for system snapshots, as I use BTRFS for my file system. […]
              I think you both confuse Back In Time with Timeshift

Back In Time is mainly meant for (user) data, Timeshift is geared towards system backups (it can backup user data too, but this is not its intentional purpose and other tools are better suited for this).

And yes, Timeshift is a good program, too.
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X