Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neon system grub boot error -- can I devine what to do? /dev/?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neon system grub boot error -- can I devine what to do? /dev/?

Please tell me if I need to take this elsewhere at Kubuntu forum or elsewhere outside as it is a grub issue growing out of my Neon boot failure problem.

As forum regulars know, I have a Neon system that does not boot. I backed up key files and now am hoping to try some ways to get it to boot enough to try to fix it.
    I am following this guide: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog...rub-2-on-linux

I end up first in grub and then in (initramfs).
    The error message I get has to do with /dev/sdc3 does not exist after boot fails when it stops waiting for missing boot files.
    My guess is that is that /dev/sdc3 is where /boot and root are, i.e., (hd2,gpt3) on my system.
    Maybe I just misunderstand that part, how (hd2,gpt3) is expressed, as /dev/sdc3 or something else?
    I had begun with ls and then ls (hd2,gpt3)/ to find root and boot/grub as in the guide.
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

I think this is the right forum and one of the best forums for KDE neon users.

Perhaps begin with telling us what the output of ls in the GRUB CLI is, which drives you do have in your computer and on which partitions you did install what before?

The exact error message(s) would also be a good thing to post here…
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Ok, Schwarzer Kater.

the prompt is grub>

ls gets (hd0) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd1) (hd1,msdos3) (hd1,msdos2) (hd2) (hd2,gpt3) (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1)
      ls (hd2,gpt3)/ gets ./ ../ lost+found/ dev/ proc/ run/ sys/ bin lib lib32 lib64 libx32 sbin /boot etc/ home/ media/ mnt/ opt/ root/ snap/ srv/ tmp/ usr/ var/

I will crash and get back....

Comment

Commands sent to Grub

grub> set pager=1
        ​grub> set root=(hd0,1)
        grub>; linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic root=/dev/sda1
        grub>; initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-29-generic
        grub> insmod normal
        grub> normal
        grub> insmod linux​
        grub> boot​

Comment

The above commands include a typo (from the previously mentioned guide)
          Here is a corrected replacement set:

grub> set pager=1
          ​grub> set root=(hd2,gpt3)
          grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-48-generic root=/dev/sdc3
          grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-48-generic
          grub> insmod normal
          grub> normal
          grub> insmod linux​
          grub> boot​​

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any time now to take a closer look, but shouldn't there be at least
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2​
            (or insmod btrfs if you use btrfs)
            before you set root etc.?

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Here are the responses to the above including error messages:

Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
              done.
              Gave up waiting for root file system device, Common Problems:
              - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
              - Check rootdelay=(did the system wait long enough?)
              - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
              ALERT! /dev/sdc3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Ubuntu 1.1.30.1-7ubuntu3) built-in shell (ash)
              Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

End of response messages.
              I followed all the suggestions. I think the one with most promise is /dev/sdc3 does not exist.
              But if I got that wrong, what would be the correct /dev/ statement?

Comment

I just saw Schwarzer Kater's earlier response.
                I will look into the insmod suggestions.
                My file systems is ext4.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrcul View Post
                  ALERT! /dev/sdc3 does not exist.
                  This is the root of your problem. GRUB is looking for /dev/sdc3 and that device/partition doesn't exist. Obviously, it did 'at one time'. When you reboot your PC, are you presented with a GRUB Menu?
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 20, 2023, 06:01 PM.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I do Ctrl-Alt-Del I get the grub command line interface. I am hoping to get the Grub Menu.
                    I believe it is the same if I type reboot

Did I understand correctly how to express (hd2,gpt3)? As /dev/sbdc3 ?
                    In the above Linux Foundation guide they say:
                    grub>; set root=(hd0,1)
                    grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic root=/dev/sda1
                    grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-29-generic
                    grub> boot

The first line sets the partition that the root filesystem is on. The second line tells GRUB the location of the kernel you want to use. Start typing /boot/vmli, and then use tab-completion to fill in the rest. Type root=/dev/sdX to set the location of the root filesystem. Yes, this seems redundant, but if you leave this out you’ll get a kernel panic. How do you know the correct partition? hd0,1 = /dev/sda1. hd1,1 = /dev/sdb1. hd3,2 = /dev/sdd2. I think you can extrapolate the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      This is the root of your problem. GRUB is looking for /dev/sdc3 and that device/partition doesn't exist. […]
                      How about using something like "… root=f8a18405-442d-472c-bb00-766128822afd" (replace the UUID with the actual one, of course…)?

PS: And perhaps set a --fs-uuid before (but I am not sure if this is necessary).
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 21, 2023, 04:56 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Following the suggestion to try
                        insmod part.gpt
                        insmod ext2
                        before the set boot command
                        I entered the following while the new error message appears (here presented in bold)

set pager=1
                        insmod part.gpt
                        error: file '/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/part.qpt.mod not found

insmod ext2​
                        grub> set root=(hd2,gpt3)
                        grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-48-generic root=/dev/sdc3
                        grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-48-generic
                        grub> insmod normal
                        grub> normal
                        grub> insmod linux​
                        grub> boot​​​

The error message was the same

Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
                        done.
                        Gave up waiting for root file system device, Common Problems:
                        - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
                        - Check rootdelay=(did the system wait long enough?)
                        - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
                        ALERT! /dev/sdc3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.30.1 (Ubuntu 1.1.30.1-7ubuntu3) built-in shell (ash)
                        Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)​

I remain baffled.

Comment

part_gpt - not part.gpt

Comment

As an example this is what (part of) my GRUB boot entry for KDE neon looks like:
                            Code:
                            insmod part_gpt
                            insmod ext2​
                            set root='hd0,gpt6'
                            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root a35618a9-6db5-4495-a8cf-722c4ffe4b2a
                            linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.19.0-46-generic root=UUID=a35618a9-6db5-4495-a8cf-722c4ffe4b2a
                            initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.19.0-46-generic
                            Perhaps that will help (and remember that the guide you are referring to is quite old: "This is a classic article written by Carla Schroder from the Linux.com archives.").

At the GRUB command line I would probably also add insmod linux and possibly insmod normal and insmod gzio right at the beginning, and boot at the end of course.

PS: But I don't quite understand the whole thread…
                            Why don't you just chroot from another system that is booted from a live USB or use something like the rescue mode from the Debian installation DVD-1 to graphically chroot into your broken KDE neon to repair your GRUB and anything else that needs repairing?
                            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 21, 2023, 06:28 AM. Reason: added PS, typos

Comment

I made the correction to my typo that Schwarzer Kater wanted so it now has
                              insmod part_gpt
                              That statement is accepted.

Alas the ALERT! /dev/sdc3 error is still with us....

Although I don't like it, I am thinking of bracketing /dev/sdc3 with /dev/sdc2 /dev/sdc4 /dev/scc3 /dev/scc2 to provoke messages
                              Reading grub documentation may help more?

Comment

Working...
                              X