Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it generally safe (non-destructive) simply to mount and copy files from an old file from a system that won't boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it generally safe (non-destructive) simply to mount and copy files from an old file from a system that won't boot?

I mounted my old file system as /mnt/recover in my live DVD so I could copy particular directories, like Documents, from /mnt/recover to a Western Digital Passport portable drive as a backup.

(Once the copying is done I am considering running the disk repair and recovery programs on the old file system with no particular expertise beyond that.)

When I am done copying can I simply exit my connections and shut down the live DVD or do I need to carefully unmount the file system first? It seems to me that mounting to a live DVD is only temporary, or a kind of virtual thing in a way.​

This article, https://docs.intuitivetechnology.com...-copy-a-backup , seems to justify that approach.

Or, should I do the other things like run chroot or is it sufficient to mount the file system and not unmount when done?

Thanks.
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Live or not, mounting is still mounting. When shutting down, the OS should properly unmount all file systems before exiting, same as if it were a real install.
    It is not a bad idea to unmount/safely remove, or whatever before shutting down, just to be a little safer.
    When doing exactly what you are doing, to retrieve files, I have done nothing extra, just booted the live USB (a LOT faster and less laggy than a DVD) , then used Dolphin to open and browse drives, usually without even needing to manually mount things. Then reboot from the menus as one normally does. Not unmounting *probably* won't hurt, even if the OS crashed during shutdown or something, no different than if it happened on a real install.

Basically, you don't have to overthink it, but it is never a bad thing to take extra care and unmount things yourself.

A live session is not virtual, it is just running from ram using the image of the OS that is copied to a drive when installing to disk. That OS is read-only, but any physical hardware is not.
    (one can add 'persistence' to a live USB, but that doesn't affect what you are doing. It does allow for some settings and files to be saved and be reloaded the next time it is run. )

Comment

If you just mount the file system to copy some files to a backup drive you do not have to do anything special.
      You could umount it before shutting off the computer, but unless you mount a file system with e.g. /etc/fstab or another permanent solution it is always only a temporary mount for this session.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Well, thanks for the clear advice. It is sage and I thank you,

I used dolphin to "move to trash" two of the 5 folders that I had copied from mnt/recover to the WD drive in order to redo them.
        (One had the contents duplicated as a subdirectory. The other failed to copy a trash folder so perhaps OK.)

After that attempt, it appears my live DVD session has crashed along with access to the WD drive.
        All is frozen on my monitors. I can move my mouse around but touching the parts of the screen whether for the OS kicker for programs or individual program screens does not get a response.

I am ready to power off items starting with the WD drive, then the DVD portable drive, then the main machine.

I will take a half hour until about 12: 50 pm my time (it is 12:20 pm now) before I do that.

Comment

Before resorting to powering off the PC, see https://www.howtogeek.com/119127/use...-commands/amp/
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It seem that key on my keyboard is the Prt key as in the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_request

I will read the writeup again shortly and give that a try.

Comment

If you can, you really should use a USB stick for this, optical discs are a LOT slower, which will only be compounded when doing tasks more demanding than basic things.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                If you can, you really should use a USB stick for this, optical discs are a LOT slower,
                And USB 2 is slower than USB 3.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Yes. But ... on one's system, you have to know which USB 'slots' (plug-ins) correspond to which USB ports on the motherboard. If a USB slot (on your PC case) is only connected to a USB2 port on your motherboard, it won't do any good to use a USB3 flash drive in that USB2 slot -- it won't hurt, won't cause any problems, but you won't get USB3 speed. I realize this sounds obvious! But when you build/buy your PC/laptop, that is the time to label things so you know which is which.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    But faster than optical, and not 'thrashy' when doing heavier operations, if memory serves.

Comment

Thanks again.

Snowhog's recommendation of the magic SysRq key appeared to bring things down in an orderly way.

In my portable DVD drive I replaced the old neon ISO disk with the latest I had downloaded, checked it out and burned the disk a few days ago.
                      My machine with the X570 Plus (WiFi) motherboard failed to recognize the DVD boot disk.
                      (Earlier it failed to boot from multiple USB boot drives and Asus support had no solution.)

Maybe if I take an extra step to disable secure boot as in this article https://superuser.com/questions/1734...f-gaming-board I may succeed. No. It failed again. I returned the default keys.

I found this file at the Asus support site: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013017 It offers a way to make Asus motherboards boot from USB drives and CD ROMS
                      You hold the ESC Key down from before you press the power key.
                      It failed to detect the CD ROM as well.

(My BIOS is old. There is a new one this year, but people are not tranquil about updating it.)

Comment

The old BIOS is 1405 x64. The current BIOS is 4602 dated 2023/03/14.
                        The CPU is Ryzen 9.
                        To try new media I changed the DVD to the Debian boot repair disk and added a boot repair USB flash. Neither was detected.
                        I restored defaults and carefully disabled fast boot and secure boot again.

I recall BIOS issues in the past but not with no workaround. I assembled the box in April 2020 and had problems. I took it to a very good local shop, and they were unable to install Win 10. So instead of dual booting I got Win 10 to run in Virtual Box. That was for one software package that ran under Windows.

Maybe I should try to flash the new BIOS? There is a Windows guide.

If I brick the motherboard can anyone suggest what would be a good, hopefully trouble free alternative?
                        Maybe I need such an alternative now if boot media can't be detected.
                        I could take it to that shop and let them struggle with it some....
                        Back to bed....

Comment

For whatever reason I booted into Grub 2.02 after I had given up. I don't know if that gives me any advantage.
                          I will leave it be rather than give it the Grub reboot command.

Comment

I got the latest Neon ISO booted from a USB pen drive as a live ISO. In the day hours I hope to carry on,.

Moving to a better USB port for plugging in my portable DVD drive got around my basic booting issue. Booting from a USB drive would have been faster.
                            I apologize for not knowing my front panel USB ports well. When I open the case I will check where the fastest ports are.
                            Speed is
                            good now.

I had difficulties with all steps and need to see if mounting I had done earlier persists and if my WD Passport drive is ok.

In case I wreck my motherboard I found plenty of suitable ATX format AM4 Motherboards for AMD CPUs but no way to evaluate them especially in terms of avoiding issues and Linux support.

Before updating the BIOS I decided to try other USB ports on my existing Asus X570 (WiFi) motherboard. I am glad I did.

Updating BIOS--if I do so, but now I believe it won't be necessary.:
                            Asus documentation that is MS Windows oriented recommends first installing AI suite 3​ in your Windows distribution. I don't think it will be necessary..

Comment

Originally posted by pwrcul View Post
                              [SIZE=12px][…]
                              In case I wreck my motherboard I found plenty of suitable ATX format AM4 Motherboards for AMD CPUs but no way to evaluate them especially in terms of avoiding issues and Linux support.
                              […]
                              I am sure you won't.
                              But here is one of those websites where you can check their hardware database for Linux compatibility: https://linux-hardware.org/
                              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                              X