410 updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

410 updates

As the title, I have 410 updates this morning. I suppose that's KDE Frameworks 5.107 and KDE Gear 23.04.2...

I wonder what will break this time! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Constant change is here to stay!

You didn't look at today's neon post(s), I take it

Comment

About icons? Yeah, saw it afterwards...

Comment

Another 182 this morning! Fixes for the previous updates?

Comment

Mainly an updated Qt stack, which requires a ton of stuff to be rebuilt. Plus Ubuntu pushing out kernel updates as well.

And of course many updates, but tiny, and space freed lol (not unusual).

Code:
          206 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 10 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
          Need to get 460 MB of archives.
          After this operation, 301 MB disk space will be freed.

the removals are old kernels.

Comment

Yes, I just got a notification for a kernel update... Which means I'll have to reinstall my WiFi drivers, again!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
              Which means I'll have to reinstall my WiFi drivers, again!
              You don't have dkms installed?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Which means I'll have to reinstall my WiFi drivers, again!
                You should let DKMS do that for you automagically. it is likely that someone has the same hardware, and has set this up before. Though sometimes these kernel updates are very monor, code-wise (security patches) and the ones you have might not need to be rebuilt.

Comment

It doesn't happen. Every time there's a new kernel I have to reinstall the Realtek DKMS (rtl8821ce​)

Comment

For over a year dkms has been called to create a driver for my rtl88x2bu wifi driver.

An update this evening included the linux kernel 5.19.0-45 kernel:
                    linux-generic-hwe-22.04/jammy-updates 5.19.0.45.46~22.04.20 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.19.0.43.44~22.04.17]
                    linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04/jammy-updates 5.19.0.45.46~22.04.20 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.19.0.43.44~22.04.17]
                    linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04/jammy-updates 5.19.0.45.46~22.04.20 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.19.0.43.44~22.04.17]
                    linux-libc-dev/jammy-updates 5.15.0-75.82 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.15.0-73.80]

dkms began it task and immediately FAILED!
                    I had expected to see an additional directory entry
                    /var/lib/dkms/rtl88x2bu/5.13.1/5.19.0-45-generic/x86_64/module/88x2bu.ko
                    to match the 43 and 42 entries. Needless to day, my wifi connection failed to materialize.

I rebooted and manually selected the 43 kernel and got my wifi back.
                    Grub-customize is not in the repository so I have to manually edit /etc/default/grub and then run update-grub to make the 43 kernel the default kernel at boot.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 15, 2023, 08:39 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have to reinstall the Realtek DKMS (rtl8821ce​)
                      From where? There are multiple sources for this, including official Ubuntu packages. If it keeps breaking, then maybe there is something wrong with the version/variant you are using. If updating in the terminal, you would see errors, I think, but the overall package install process would continue.

Logs are buried somewhere in /var/lib/dkms/

it does look like the older rtl8821ce​-dkms driver packages was removed in Kinetic, as the newer rtw88 is part of the 5.19 kernel. So I may be guessing that the rtl8821ce​ may not compile on 5.19, via the official 22.04 dkms package? Or is blacklisted, perhaps.
                      https://askubuntu.com/questions/1455...0-to-5-19-0-32
                      The first answer has some instruction and followup on blacklisting the old module if necessary.
                      The second answer has a link to a popular git repo that has DKMS enabled installer that will keep it rebuilt as you go, if it works, and how to blacklist the newer driver if necessary.

I'd test uninstalling the driver you have installed, and seeing if it magically works via the native built-in driver.
                      Your other choice is to stick to the 5.15 kernel, and using the Ubuntu rtl8821ce​-dkms package, or the git installer, depending on which one works better.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Jun 15, 2023, 09:14 PM.

Comment

If I don't install the driver I don't have any WiFi at all. It reinstalls and works just fine after a reboot. It's not a biggie, it's not like we get a new kernel every other day...

I'm too tired today to dig into this, I have far more important things to do like booking flights to Bangkok for September and Osaka in October!

Comment

Working...
                        X