Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of April (I think it was after an upgrade) I could log in, get a screen that said Plasma by KDE, then a black screen. I could see and move my cursor. When I run my cursor to the top left corner I get a "No Windows" message, the screen turns a lighter gray, and a search box appears at the top. I have tried booting to an older kernel with the same results. Ctrl+Alt+F1, Alt+F2, and Ctrl+Alt+T all have no effect. If the screen is left long enough I get a "Screen Locker Broken" message, but Ctrl+Alt+F2 has no effect and I have to power off.

I have other boot options which I have used since this started, but I would like to resurrect this install because it was/is my primary work install.

Any ideas? I did notice on the forum that there were similar problems about the end of April, but the solutions didn't work.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

This is your HP desktop (you didn't tell)?
    Nvidia drivers are up-to-date and installed from the *Ubuntu repositories?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Sorry. Yes, it is the HP desktop and the Nvidia drivers were up to date... unless that is what changed on the update. The problem is that I cannot get any response other than the cursor moving and what I described. I am not knowledgeable enough to know what keystrokes to use to get to a terminal other than Ctrl-Alt-T.
      "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

On the black desktop, can you access Krunner via alt-space or alt-f2? This is that 'search box' you mention, I think.
        If so you can launch desktop applications from there, and even run some commands that *might* help.

Such as plasmashell --replace, which will try to (re)start Plasmashell (your desktop)

The broken lock screen should mention instruction on how to fix it, but if you can't access a tty (ctrl-alt-Fx) it isn't very useful. Have you tried ctrl-alt-f3, f4, and so on?

I will wager that both of these things are related, but I have no idea what is actually broken for you.

Comment

I wondered if it was Krunner, but it does not look exactly like Krunner. It is just a box with a magnifying glass and the words "Filter windows...". Alt-F2 does not start Krunner and as I mentioned in the first post other key combinations didn't seem to do anything. However, Alt-Space does bring Krunner up. It is clearly a different box.
          I typed in "plasmashell --replace" and ran it. My log-in background flashed up and then I got a black screen with a Plasma crash handler box.

BTW, the keystrokes mentioned in the Broken Screen Locker don't do anything either. (I have had that in the past.)

Ctrl-Alt-F(1-12) does nothing.

Hummm... I clicked on the link to report the Plasma crash (expecting nothing) and a Chrome browser window opened to kde.org.

Alt-Tab will switch between the crash box and Chrome, so something is working.

I have gotten Konsole by using Krunner. I just don't know what to do next.

Comment

startx in konsole seems to have done the trick. THANKS!

Comment

Oooops... ran an update & now the log-in screen locks after I enter my password. So not fixed after all

Comment

Working...
              X