Bluetooth is disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth is disabled

I just received a shiny new Beelink Mini S12 Pro N100 with 16Gb RAM and 500Gb NVMe SSD and wiped the installed Windows 11 and replaced it with Neon!

In System Settings Bluetooth shows as being disabled and clicking the Enable button is fruitless! I wonder if any guru can shed some light on this! It's not highly important as I haven't the need to use any Bluetooth devices with the machine just yet.

Code:
    ~$ inxi -Fxmz
    System:
    Kernel: 5.19.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
    Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.27.5 Distro: KDE neon 22.04 5.27
    base: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy
    Machine:
    Type: Desktop System: AZW product: MINI S v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
    Mobo: AZW model: MINI S v: 10 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: ADLNV104 date: 02/06/2023
    Battery:
    Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M350 Wireless Mouse
    charge: 100% (should be ignored) status: Discharging
    Memory:
    RAM: total: 15.41 GiB used: 1.32 GiB (8.6%)
    RAM Report:
    permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
    CPU:
    Info: quad core model: Intel N100 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: N/A
    rev: 0 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 2 MiB L3: 6 MiB
    Speed (MHz): avg: 775 high: 800 min/max: 700/3400 cores: 1: 800
    2: 700 3: 800 4: 800 bogomips: 6451
    Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
    Graphics:
    Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
    Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Graphics (ADL-N) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.5
    direct render: Yes
    Audio:
    Device-1: Intel driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
    Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.19.0-41-generic running: yes
    Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
    Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
    Network:
    Device-1: Intel driver: N/A port: N/A bus-ID: 00:14.3
    Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
    IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Bluetooth:
    Device-1: Intel AX201 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 1-10:5
    Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: down
    bt-service: enabled,running rfk-block: hardware: no software: no
    address: <filter>
    Drives:
    Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 109.53 GiB (23.0%)
    ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: 512GB SSD size: 476.94 GiB temp: 43.9 C
    Partition:
    ID-1: / size: 39.11 GiB used: 17.35 GiB (44.4%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
    ID-2: /boot/efi size: 300.4 MiB used: 7.6 MiB (2.5%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
    ID-3: /home size: 426.98 GiB used: 92.17 GiB (21.6%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
    Swap:
    ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
    file: /swapfile
    Sensors:
    System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0 C mobo: N/A
    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
    Info:
    Processes: 193 Uptime: 4m Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
    gcc: N/A Packages: 2090 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.13​
    Constant change is here to stay!

I also noticed that Wi-Fi is also not showing up and no additional drivers are required by Drive Manager.

Comment

According to Intel the AX201 should work with appropriate firmware from kernel 5.2.x onwards…

Did you already try something in this direction - by that I mean using another kernel version/firmware, perhaps trying if it works with another distribution?
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 15, 2023, 01:49 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I believe the answer is with the Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 driver....

Comment

But Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 should have nothing to do with WLAN or Bluetooth - that's Ethernet.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Duh! Yeah, I'm slightly hungover today and really should have waited until tomorrow to do this!

I'll try another live distro tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
              I just received a shiny new Beelink Mini S12 Pro N100 with 16Gb RAM and 500Gb NVMe SSD ...

In System Settings Bluetooth shows as being disabled and clicking the Enable button is fruitless!

I also noticed that Wi-Fi is also not showing up...
              They suggest the hardware is in an airplane mode. If it was a laptop you'd want to press the function key combo to enable wireless and bluetooth. I suggest checking the firmware settings (once known as the BIOS).
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                They suggest the hardware is in an airplane mode. If it was a laptop you'd want to press the function key combo to enable wireless and bluetooth. I suggest checking the firmware settings (once known as the BIOS).
                To add to that, you might also try disabling Secure Boot if it is still enabled, which can in some system firmware can mess with hardware loading firmware/drivers.

BUTT:
                that wifi chip (iirc built in to the SoC?) may not be an AX201 at all, but the much more recent AX101, based on the driver download from Beelink, as well as the CPU/SoC model (from Q1 of this year, so extremely recent hardware), and numerous threads on the topic.
                The N100 SoC has numerous reports on lacking support for its AX101 in Linux at the moment.
                And though Intel is normally great with Linux support, when it comes to the System-on-Chip stuff, they are much less so.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wirel...r/td-p/1468063
                https://askubuntu.com/questions/1459...uetooth-issues
                https://www.reddit.com/r/MiniPCs/com...ute_nightmare/
                https://community.intel.com/t5/Wirel...1/td-p/1461688

You are probably going to need kernel 6.1, or 6.2 for any support for it, as well as updated firmwares, and who knows what else.
                You might try a 23.04 live session and see how that fares, though I suspect it might not, even with a 6.x kernel.

I doesn't look like backport-iwlwifi-dkms would provide anything for this, either, yet, based in it's last build date.

Last edited by claydoh; May 15, 2023, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I'll look in the BIOS later, but I just tried the following three commands which had no effect:

Code:
                  rfkill unblock all

nmcli radio all on

nmcli r wifi on​​

Comment

I just booted the latest EndeavourOS and the WiFi/Bluetooth was not picked up with that either. I believe that's running the 6.2 kernel and Neon is on 5.19...

Comment

I may end up reinstalling Windows 11 Pro and see what all the fuss is about! I haven't used any Windows version for any amount of time since Windows 3.1. I usually just poke around and then remove it!

Comment

Even installing the latest mainline kernel using this guide hasn't helped:

https://learnubuntu.com/install-mainline-kernel/

I took a few days off work due to lack of interest so I have a little time now I'm back from Okinawa!

I did reinstall Windows 11 Pro and played with it for a while but couldn't find a compelling reason to keep it so now I'm back on KDE Neon...

Comment

I just remembered I had a spare Bluetooth dongle in my USB stick drawer that works with anything! Not the ideal solution but it will do for now. I have no need for the WiFi because I have an RJ-45 socket in the wall behind the PC!

Comment

Here's a review of KDE Neon on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kdeneon/com...e_neon_review/

and my comment on the review:

Nice review. I have used KDE Neon for 4 or 5 years now. I tried Kubuntu but preferred KDE Neon for reasons I have forgotten. I am a refugee from Linux Mint KDE which Clem stopped supporting due to lack of resources.

One caveat in selecting KDE Neon is that the kernel with the LTS release may not support newer hardware. In my case bluetooth does not work on an Asus ROG Strix G17 (2022) unless you have kernel 5.19.5 or higher. I have 5.19.0-42-generic so have to wait for a newer kernel to use a bluetooth mouse. Perfectly willing to use a usb mouse until then.

BTW I update daily using a script:

#!/bin/bash
                            # Does the same thing as update manager
                            # Updated 2021-04-09 @ 13:02:37 MDT by rob@sigma-changed apt-get to apt, changed upgrade to full-upgrade
                            sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade
                            # Updated 2021-10-30 @ 14:51:01 MDT by rob@sigma-removed apt dist-upgrade as it is redundant with apt full-upgrade.
                            sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Updated 2023-05-27 @ 11:16:54 MDT by rob@sigma:

I tried Kubuntu 23.04 on a live usb yesterday. Uses kernel 6.2. Bluetooth mouse was recognized.

Point is if you want to keep up with new hardware KDE Neon may not be the best choice as it uses LTS versions of Ubuntu. YMMV

Comment

I've seen advice to install a newer kernel and backport-iwlwifi-dkms

But...

Code:
                              sudo apt install backport-iwlwifi-dkms
                              [sudo] password for wayne:
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree... Done
                              Reading state information... Done
                              backport-iwlwifi-dkms is already the newest version (9858-0ubuntu3.2).
                              Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                              Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                              Done
                              0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 4 not to upgrade.
                              1 not fully installed or removed.
                              After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                              Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
                              Setting up backport-iwlwifi-dkms (9858-0ubuntu3.2) ...
                              Removing old backport-iwlwifi-9858 DKMS files...
                              Deleting module backport-iwlwifi-9858 completely from the DKMS tree.
                              Loading new backport-iwlwifi-9858 DKMS files...
                              Building for 6.3.5-060305-generic
                              Building initial module for 6.3.5-060305-generic
                              Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.3.5-060305-generic (x86_64)
                              Consult /var/lib/dkms/backport-iwlwifi/9858/build/make.log for more information.
                              dpkg: error processing package backport-iwlwifi-dkms (--configure):
                              installed backport-iwlwifi-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
                              Errors were encountered while processing:
                              backport-iwlwifi-dkms
                              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)​​
                              Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X