This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Nouveau crashes w/ Nvidia GT1030 and Neon User LTS 20171213

I have a home built tower computer with an Nvidia GeForce GT1030 graphics card and am trying to install Neon User LTS 20171213 from a USB drive. Unfortunately, the default video driver - Nouveau - crashes on startup. I know that I need to install the nvidia-384 driver, to get my display working properly, but the nvidia-384 driver can't be added to the USB Neon User LTS 20171213 drive as it isn't persistent. Not sure where to go from here...

"Isn't persistent"?
    It is missing after a reboot?

I'm running KDE Neon User Edition and nvidia-384 and all its accesory programs are in the repository. Did you install them from the repository?
    (I'm using nvidia-378 and have locked them so that they aren't changed by an unwanted update -- if it is not broken don't fix it).
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am referring to the installation media (USB pen drive). The Nouveau driver crashes before I get a desktop and can start the install process. I get a quick glimpse of the desktop and then I get a blinking underscore cursor. So, I would need a version of the install media (.iso file) that I can write to a USB drive, that has a live system with the nvidia-384 driver set as default. Unfortunately, there aren't any available...

Comment

Did you checksum the ISO file you burned?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yes, I did.

Comment

This may help:
            https://medium.com/@samnco/using-the...4-4eee72d56791

Comment

Thanks, but as far as I can see, I need a working install, which I don't have.
              "To solve the issue, we need to install CUDA as the standalone runfile, then install the latest drivers from the 381 branch as well as libcuda. You can do it on a fresh install via:"

Comment

The noveau driver is known to not work with this card just yet.
                Unfortunately, the proprietary Nvidia drivers are not allowed to be included on Linux installers, so the easiest option (if you do not have the option of on-board graphics to use temporarliy) is to disable the nouveau driver in the live disk's grub and use the fallback basic generic video driver for the installation. Once installed, boot to your fresh setup and install the Nvidia drivers.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7833...-using-nouveau

I am glad I decided not to get the gt1030, as I make it a habit of NOT checking compatibility on any hardware I get. I went with the gt1050 instead, even though it cost slightly more (120) than the refurb PC I put it in (100 dollars, lol) The performance boost for my usage has been money well spent. Both cards are very energy efficient, so can be used in the small-form-factor HP I have, with it's limited and not easily upgraded 240 watt power supply. The 1030 doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over the older gt 610 I have, at least for my casual and terrible gaming activities, but would have been an improvement I am sure for the HTPC duties the old card was used for.
                Last edited by claydoh; Dec 23, 2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try

Comment

Working...
                  X