This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Keyboard displayed on login screen

Yesterday, I updated my Neon system to 4.4.0-77-generic. This morning, the login screen showed me a big keyboard covering the bottom half of the screen. At first, I was a bit flummoxed, but managed to log in anyway.

How do I get rid of the thing? This is a laptop machine, not a tablet.

Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Sddm

With the sddm 0.17.0 & plasma desktop 5.11.4 - the KDE sddm greeter is released with the plasma.

Configuration files - man sddm.conf:
    Code:
    SYNOPSIS
       Configuration  loads  all files in the configuration directories followed by
       the configuration file in the order listed below with the latter having  the
       most precedent. Changes should be made to the local configurations.

/usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d
              System configuration directory

/etc/sddm.conf.d
              Local configuration directory

/etc/sddm.conf
              Local configuration file for compatibility
    Qt Virtual keyboard - man sddm.conf:
    Code:
       InputMethod=
              Set the Qt input method for the greeter. Tablet users with  Qt  Vir‐
              tual  Keyboard  installed can set this to "qtvirtualkeyboard" for the
              on-screen keyboard. Other known values are "ibus" for  the  Intelli‐
              gent Input Bus, or "compose" for dead keys support. Leave this empty
              if unsure.
    Do you have the 'InputMethod' set ?

There is also the option to remove the qt5-virtualkeyboard package if you don't need it.

Current Breeze sddm theme

The Breeze sddm theme (5.11) has support for the virtual keyboard - there is the show virtual keyboard button:

Older sddm themes

Older versions of the sddm themes don't have the support for the virtual keyboard. The vk will be painted over the display. It can be scrolled down from the hide button:

Earlier - older sddm&plasma: Virtual keyboard for Plasma 5.10 - https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=140504
    Last edited by Rog131; Dec 20, 2017, 04:55 AM.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Ok, that's what I see on the logon screen. I am at KDE 4.14. sddm 0.17.0 and plasma-desktop 4:5.8.8-0neon+16..However, of the three files or directories you mentioned, I have only /etc/sddm/Xsession, which contains no input method:

/etc/sddm$ grep -i input Xsession
      /etc/sddm$

Is sddm going to be part of the future of KDE?

WIll look for the things you mentioned on my next logon. THanks.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
        Ok, that's what I see on the logon screen. I am at KDE 4.14. sddm 0.17.0 and plasma-desktop 4:5.8.8-0neon+16..

However, of the three files or directories you mentioned, I have only /etc/sddm/Xsession, which contains no input method:

/etc/sddm$ grep -i input Xsession
        /etc/sddm$

Is sddm going to be part of the future of KDE?

WIll look for the things you mentioned on my next logon. THanks.
        The SDDM (Simple Desktop Display Manager - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple...isplay_Manager ) is the recommend display manager by the KDE/Plasma 5.

By default - 'On systems controlled by systemd, everything should work out of the box, since SDDM defaults to using systemd-logind for session management.'

Testing at here. Removing all sddm.conf files -> The sddm is showing the Qt 5 virtual keyboard.

The sddm sample configuration file can be made by the command:
        Code:
        sddm --example-config > sddm.conf
        Note !
        This file has:
        Code:
        # Input method module
        InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard
        The edited (remove the qtvirtualkeyboard) sddm.conf can be copied to the right place.

The right place should be the /etc/sddm.conf.d but the KDE has bug 386241 - sddm KCM should write settings to /etc/sddm.conf.d with sddm >= 0.16.0 - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=386241. So the right place, at now, is the /etc/sddm.conf.

If you add the /etc/sddm.conf check from the sddm KCM that the settings are ríght !

But you could simply remove the Qt 5 virtual keyboard package if you don't need it. Package name should be qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin.
        Last edited by Rog131; Dec 20, 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post

The sddm sample configuration file can be made by the command:
          Code:
          sddm --example-config > sddm.conf
          Note !
          This file has:
          Code:
          # Input method module
          InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard
          The edited (remove the qtvirtualkeyboard) sddm.conf can be copied to the right place.

If you add the /etc/sddm.conf check from the sddm KCM that the settings are ríght !
          kcmshell5 kcm_sddm
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            kcmshell5 kcm_sddm
            or KDE System Setting > Startup and Shutdown > Login Screen (SDDM)

Comment

So should I be using sddm -- or am i?

$ ps -edf | grep sddm
              root 1214 1 0 07:56 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/sddm
              root 1225 1214 2 07:56 tty7 00:00:34 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{22f1450e-624d-4da7-b39b-405a86aac386} -background none -noreset -displayfd 18 -seat seat0 vt7
              root 1821 1214 0 08:07 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sddm/sddm-helper --socket /tmp/sddm-auth8860359f-6beb-486c-9e84-e322accae02f --id 1 --start /usr/bin/startkde --user jon
              jon 4371 2117 0 08:25 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto sddm

Hmmm, looks like I am. But then

$ ps -edf | grep -i X11
              jon 1963 1940 1 08:07 ? 00:00:23 kwin_x11 -session 10d8d4dd9b000148750344100000015480001_1513798190_5 23586

So X11 is still there. Is this because the conversion is not complete yet? Thanks for all your input.
              Last edited by joneall; Dec 21, 2017, 01:29 AM. Reason: addiion

Comment

KDE Neon 5.8.8. I created an sddm.conf file and copied it to the suggested directory. I commented out the section on the virtual keyboard, but it still shows up at login.

Comment

Maybe of interest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...board_in_sddm/
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Commenting out the section should do the same thing...

edit----

but it doesn't
                    SpecialEd's link worked however. Thanks.
                    Last edited by globetrotterdk; Dec 22, 2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X